Best Buddies is a programme designed to foster friendships between individuals with intellectual disabilities and those outside their social circle. Best Buddies provides opportunities for one-to-one friendships between people who would otherwise never have the chance to meet. It is also about breaking down barriers between people and erasing misconceptions.
Best Buddies International is a nonprofit 501(c) (3) organisation dedicated to establishing a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendship, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Founded in 1989 by Anthony Kennedy Shriver, Best Buddies is a vibrant, international organisation that has grown from one original chapter to almost 1,700 middle school, high school and college chapters worldwide. Best Buddies engages participants in the Unites States and over 50 other countries, positively impacting the lives of more than 800,000 people with and without disabilities around the world.
The essence of best buddies is to foster natural friendships between two people.
To establish a global volunteer movement that creates opportunities for one-to-one friendships, integrated employment and leadership development for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD).
- A full-time UCSI University student, who is able to commit to a one-to-one friendship with a person with intellectual disabilities, for ONE full academic year.
- Visit his / her Buddy twice a month.
- Contact his / her Buddy once a week.
- Attend Best Buddies group activities and regular meetings.
- Application: Complete the membership and matching survey form. Submit these applications to the Student Development & Counselling Department. An interview will be conducted for compatibility purposes.
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN
- Able to extend friendships to intellectually-disabled people.
- Able to inculcate the spirit of team work and co-operation.
- Able to contribute to society.
- Able to show love, compassion and care towards people with learning difficulties.
- Able to increase our understanding of the intellectually-disabled.
Best Buddies Workshop 1
Best Buddies Workshop 2
Best Buddies Friendship Card
Sri Eden's Sports Practice
Best Buddies Friendship Walk 2014
“To the world, you may be one person.
But to one person, you may be the world.”
Today, the Best Buddies programme has positively impacted more than 800,000 individuals from 50 countries...
Student Development & Counselling Department – Students Affairs & Alumni
No. 1, Jalan Menara Gading,
UCSI Heights, Cheras 56000,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel : +603-9101 8880 ext 3090
Fax : +603-9102 3606