Member, Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM)
- Nmae of grant: PSIF
Project Title: Ultrasound treated adsorbent for dye and heavy metal removal
Duration: 20 months
Current Research Project
- Ultrasound treated adsorbent in dye and heavy metal adsorption
- Characteristics and treatment of citrus and apple pectin as sugar replacer in cake ingredients
- Ultrasound and osmotic dehydration effects on solvent extraction of hazelnut oil and protein
- Adsorption of methylene blue using cellulose extracted from rice husk with ultrasound aid
- Comparative study of oil adsorption of rice husk and rice straw with acids modification
- Effect of direct and indirect ultrasound pre-treatment of rice husks in oil adsorption
- Application of chemically modified spent coffee for the heavy metal removal from aqueous solution
- Effects of salt ion valences at various concentrations on drying mechanism
- Comparative study on the effect of different osmotic agents as pre-treatment in vegetable drying and rehydration
- Ethanol and ultrasound pre-treatments to improve the adsorption capacity of adsorbent
- Effect of chitosan-based coating on fruit slab in osmotic dehydration
- Chan, Y.T., Tan, M.C., & Chin, N.L. (2018). Effect of partial sugar replacement with ultrasonically treated citrus pectin on aeration and rheological properties of batter. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, e13827.
- Geow, C.H., Tan, M.C., Yeap, S.P., & Chin, N.L. (2018). A Box-Behnken design for optimization of ultrasound assisted solvent extraction of hazelnut oil. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, e13743.
- Low, S.K., Tan, M.C., Chin, N.L., & Tan, K.W. (2018). Comparative studies on ultrasound pre-treated peanut husk powder and ultrasound simultaneous process on heavy metal adsorption. International Journal of Engineering, 31(8), 1334-1340.
- Low, S.K., Tan, M.C., & Chin, N.L. (2018). Effect of ultrasound pre-treatment on adsorbent in dye adsorption compared with ultrasound simultaneous adsorption. Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, 48, 64-70.
- Low, S.K., & Tan, M.C. (2018). Dye adsorption characteristic of ultrasound pre-treated pomelo peel. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 6(2), 3502-3509.
- Tan, M.C., Chin, N.L., Yusof, Y.A., & Abdullah, J. (2016). Novel 2D and 3D imaging of internal aerated structure of ultrasonically treated foams and cakes using X-ray tomography and X-ray microtomography. Journal of Food Engineering. Doi: 10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2016.03.008.
- Tee, Y.B., Wong, J., Tan, M.C., & Talib, R.A. (2016). Development of Edible Film from Flaxseed Mucilage. BioResources, 11(4), 10286-10295.
- Lim, Y.H., Chew, I.M.L., Choong, T.S.Y., Tan, M.C., & Tan, K.W. (2016, January). NanoCrystalline Cellulose isolated from oil palm empty fruit bunch and its potential in cadmium metal removal. In MATEC Web of Conferences (Vol. 59). EDP Sciences.
- Tan, M.C., Chin, N.L., Yusof, Y.A., & Abdullah, J. (2015). Effect of high power ultrasonic treatment on whey protein foaming quality. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. Doi: 10.1111/ijfs.13013.
- Tan, M.C., Chin, N.L., Yusof, Y.A., Taip, F.S., & Abdullah, J. (2014). Improvement of eggless cake structure using ultrasonically treated whey protein. Food and Bioprocess Technology: An International Journal, 1-10. Doi: 10.1007/s11947-014- 1428-1.
- Tan, M.C., Chin, N.L., Yusof, Y.A., Taip, F.S., & Abdullah, J. (2014). Characterisation of improved foam aeration and rheological properties of ultrasonically treated whey protein suspension. International Dairy Journal. Doi: 10.1016/j.idairyj.2014.09.013.
- Tan, M.C., Chin, N.L., Yusof, Y.A., Taip, F.S., & Abdullah, J. (2014). Gel strength and stability characterization of ultrasound treated whey protein foams. Agriculture and Agricultural Science Procedia, 2, 144-149.
- Tan, M.C., Chin, N.L., & Yusof, Y.A. (2011). Power ultrasound aided batter mixing for sponge cake batter. Journal of Food Engineering, 104 (3), 430-437.
- Tan, M.C., Chin, N.L., & Yusof, Y.A. (2010). A Box-Behnken design for determining the optimum experimental condition of cake batter mixing. Food and Bioprocess Technology: An International Journal, 5(3), 972-982. Doi: 10.1007/s11947-010- 0394-5.
- M.Y. Pua, M.C. Tan, L.W. Tan, N. Ab. Aziz, F.S. Taip. (2010). Control and Simulation of FOPDT Food Processes with Constraints using PI Controller. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial, Mechatronic and Manufacturing Engineering, 4(6), 522-524.
- Comparative studies on ultrasound pre-treated peanut husk powder and ultrasound simultaneous process on heavy metal adsorption. 16 – 17th October 2017, Johor, Malaysia. Proceeding of the Regional Post-graduate Conference on Environmentally Sustainable Technology 2017 (RCET 2017).
- NanoCrystalline cellulose isolated from oil palm emtyp fruit bunch and its potential in cadmium metal removal. 26 – 28th March 2016, Hong Kong. Proceeding of the 5th International Conference on Informatics, Environment, Energy and Applications (IEEA 2016).
- Gel strength and stability characterization of ultrasound treated whey protein foams. 1 – 3th December 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Proceeding of the 2nd International Conference on Agricultural and Food Engineering (CAFEi).
- Aerated properties of ultrasonic treated whey protein foam for cake making. 24 – 26th January 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Proceeding of the 1st International Conference on Food Properties (ICFP).
- Imaging and analysis of whey protein bubbles using X-ray microtomography. 8th October 2012, Johor, Malaysia. Colloquium Process Tomography Research.
- Foaming capacity and stability of ultrasound treated whey proteins. 28th November – 1st December 2011, Pahang, Malaysia. International Conference of Chemical Engineering and Industrial Biotechnology in conjunction with 25th Symposium of Malaysian Chemical Engineer (ICCEIB-SOMChE) 2011.
- Effect of ultrasonic waves on cake batter and properties. 22-26 August 2010, Cape Town, South Africa. The 15th World Congress of Food Science and Technology, IUFOST 2010,
- Control and Simulation of FOPDT food processes with constraints using PI Controller. 28-30 June 2010, Paris, France. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology,