- Name of grant: Pioneer Scientist Incentive Fund (PSIF)
Funder: UCSI University
Project Title: In vitro antimicrobial assessment on potential probiotic bacteria isolated from common farmed fish
Duration: 2 years
Role: Principal investigator
Current Research Project
- Current Post-Doc supervision: The effects of insect meal inclusion on immunomodulation and physiological changes in aquaculture (2018-2019)
- Current PhD student: The potential of black soldier fly meal as a partial or complete replacement for fishmeal in grouper dietary requirement (2019-2021)
- Current PhD student: The combined effect of oxytetracycline and caffeic acid combination in disease-challenged and healthy fish models (2019-2021)
- Msc student (Completed): Isolation and potential application of endophytic fungi (2016-2018)
- Current Msc student: G-I-Y SPIRULINA KIT: A green approach for spirulina cultivation (2018-2019)
- Chong, W.W., Lim, C.S.Y., Lai, K.S. and Loh, J.Y. (2019). In vitro antimicrobial assessment on lactic acid bacteria isolated from common freshwater fishes. Asia Pacific Journal of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. 27(2): 18 – 25.
- Low, L.Y., Ong, J.A., Wee, C.Y., Sekeli, R., Tan, C.K., Loh, J.Y. and Lai, K.S. (2019). Effects of Lignosulfonates on Callus Proliferation and Shoot Induction of Recalcitrant Indica Rice. Sains Malaysiana. http://dx.doi.org/10.17576/jsm-2019-4801-02
- Tan, S.W., Lai, K.S. and Loh, J.Y. (2018). Effects of Food Wastes on Yellow Mealworm Tenebrio molitor Larval Nutritional Profiles and Growth Performances. Examines in Marine Biology and Oceanography. 2 (1) 1 – 6.
- Loh, J.Y., Kay, G.L. and Ting, A.S.Y. (2018). Bioencapsulation and colonization characteristics of Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis CF4MRS in Artemia franciscana: a biological approach for the control of Edwardsiella tarda in larviculture. Marine Biotechnology. DOI 10.1007/s10126-018-9813-9
- Loh, J.Y. and Ting, A.S.Y. (2017). Bioprospecting gastrointestinal microflora of common fishes for disease control in aquaculture. Kalia, V.C., Shouche, Y., Purohit, H.J., and Rahi, P. (Eds.) In: Mining of Microbial Wealth and Metagenomics. Springer. pp. 161 – 182. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-10-5708-3_10
- Loh, J.Y. (2017). The Role of Probiotic and Its Mechanisms of Action: An Aquaculture Perspective. In: World Aquaculture. World Aquaculture Society.
- Loh, J.Y., Lim, Y.Y. and Ting, A.S.Y. (2017). Bacteriocin-like substances produced by Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis CF4MRS isolated from fish intestine: Antimicrobial activities and inhibitory properties. International Food Research Journal, 24(1): 394 – 400.
- Loh, J.Y. and Ting, A.S.Y. (2016). Effects of potential probiotic Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis on digestive enzymatic activities of live feed Artemia franciscana. Aquaculture International, DOI 10.1007/s10499-016-9991-2.
- Loh, J.Y., Hii, Y.S., Ong, H.K. and Khoo, G. (2016). The effects of recirculating aquaculture system effluent water on the growth of Moina macrocopa (Straus). International Journal of Zoology Studies, 1(2): 1 – 8.
- Loh, J.Y. and Ting, A.S.Y. (2015). Bioencapsulation of probiotic Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis on Artemia franciscana nauplii: effects of encapsulation media on nauplii survival and probiotic recovery. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 11(2) Special Issues 2015, 121 – 127.
- Loh, J.Y. and Ting, A.S.Y. (2015). Comparative study of analogue hormones and the embryonic, larval and juvenile development on the induced breeding of climbing perch (Anabas testudineus, Bloch, 1792). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies, 2(5): 277-284.
- GenBank accession number: KM488626 (Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis strain CF4MRS 16S ribosomal RNA gene, partial sequence), National Center for Biotechnology Information, USA.
- Loh, J.Y., Lim, Y.Y., Harmin, S.A. and Ting, A.S.Y. (2014). In vitro assessment on intestinal microflora from commonly farmed fishes for control of the fish pathogen Edwardsiella tarda. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 38: 257-263.
- Loh, J.Y., Ong, H.K., Hii, Y.S., Smith, T.J., Lock, M. and Khoo, G. (2013). Impact of potential food sources on the life table of the Cladoceran, Moina macrocopa. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture – Bamidgeh, IJA: 65.2013.820, 8 pages.
- Loh, J.Y., Ong, H.K., Hii, Y.S., Smith, T.J., Lock, M. and Khoo, G. (2012). Highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFAs) retention quality in freshwater Cladoceran, Moina macrocopa enriched with lipid emulsions. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture – Bamidgeh, IJA: 64.2012.637, 9 pages.
- Loh, J.Y., Ahmad, M.F., Hii, Y.S., Ong, H.K. and Khoo, G. (2010). Fatty Acids Profile and Growth Performance of Moina macrocopa Reared with Oreochromis niloticus Fish Faecal Materials. Proceeding of IAB-IAS International Sympoium 2010, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Ahmad, M.F., Loh, J.Y. and Juari, M.H. (2010). Molecular docking of Sesquiterpenoid derivatives compounds against Trypanosoma active protein: a computational screening of inhibitors to Trypanosoma parasitic disease. Proceeding of IAB-IAS International Sympoium 2010, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Loh, J.Y., How, C.W., Hii, Y.S., Khoo, G. and Ong, H.K. (2009). Fish faeces as a potential food source for culturing the water flea, Moina macrocopa. Journal of Science and Technology in Tropics, 5: 5-10.
- Loh, J.Y., How, C.W., Hii, Y.S., Ong, H.K and Khoo, G. (2009). Enhancing Moina culture with fish faeces. In: Aquatic Worlds, Donyaye Abzian. Vol. 15: 2-6.
- Chuah T.S., Loh J.Y. and Hii Y.S. (2007). Acute and chronic effects of the insecticide-endosulfan on freshwater cladoceran, Moina macrocopa Straus. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 79: 557-561.
- Nutritional compositions and growth performance of mealworm Tenebrio molitor cultivated with different agricultural wastes. Asian-Pacific Aquaculture 2017, 24 – 27 July 2017, PWTC, Malaysia.
- Effects of potential probiotic Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis on digestive enzymatic activities of live feed Artemia franciscana. LAQUA 16, November 28- December 1, 2016. Sheraton Convention Centre, Lima, Peru
- Isolation, characterization and bioencapsulation of lactic acid bacteria onto Artemia franciscana to control Edwardsiella tarda. AQUACULTURE AMERICA 2015, February 19-22. New Orleans Marriott Hotel, New Orleans, Louisiana, United State of America
- Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis from locally farmed fishes improves digestive enzyme production in Artemia franciscana. Malaysian Society of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (MSMBB), 1 – 3 October 2014, Monash University.
- Isolation and evaluation of intestinal microflora from farmed fishes against edwardsiellosis. International Congress of The Malaysian Society for Microbiology, ICMSM, 12 – 15 December 2013, Langkawi.
- Molecular microbiology of farmed freshwater fish: toward coupled sustainable fish and food plant production. Spring Meeting of the Society for General Microbiology, Edinburgh International Conference Centre, UK. 29 Mar - 1 Apr, 2010.
- Effects of the enrichment time and oil emulsions on the HUFA profile of Moina macrocopa. Asian-Pacific Aquaculture 2009, Kuala Lumpur.
- Life table demography of the freshwater Cladoceran Moina macrocopa in relation to potential diets. Asian-Pacific Aquaculture 2009, Kuala Lumpur.
Awards and Recognitions
- Affiliate to Young Scientist Network – Academy of Science Malaysia (YSN-ASM)
- The Best Poster award (International Congress of the Malaysian Society for Microbiology, ICMSM 2013)
- Monash Higher Degree by Research scholarship
- Visiting Scientist to Sheffield Hallam University, UK – fully sponsored by British Council (Research grant: PMI 2)