- Purple phototropic bacteria aggregates: In-situ protein-rich feed production from aquaculture wastewater (2020) UQ Early Career Researcher
- Efficient CO and CO2 conversion to biopolymers using phototrophic bacteria (2019–2022) ARC Discovery Projects
- Protein-rich feed production from agri-industrial wastewaters by phototrophic bacteria (2019–2022) Advance Queensland Industry Research Fellowships
- MLA - Wastes to Profits (Meat and Livestock Australia grant administered by Queensland University of Technology) (2018–2022) Queensland University of Technology
- Problem to Profit: Developing a sustainable feed base from agricultural wastes using single cell protein (2016–2018) Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- Anaerobic Ammonium Removal (AAR) Wastewater Treatment Facility (2015–2022) Meat & Livestock Australia
- Waste to Revenue: Novel Fertilizers and Feeds (2015–2018) Australian Pork
- Purple phototrophic bacteria for resource recovery from red meat processing wastewater (2015–2016) Australian Meat Processor Corporation
- Puyol, D, Monsalvo, V.M, Marin, E., Rogalla, F, Melero, J. A, Martinez, F, Hülsen, T, Batstone, D. J. (2020) Wastewater Treatment Residues as Resources for Biorefinery Products and Biofuels. Olivares, J.A., Puyol, D., Melero, J.A. and Dufour, J. (eds), pp. 255-280, Elsevier.
- Fatone, F, Baeza, J.A, Batstone, D, Cema, G, Crutchik, D, Díez-Montero, R, Hülsen, T, Lyberatos, G, McLeod, A, Mosquera-Corral, A, Oehmen, A, Plaza, E, Renzi, D,Soares, A. and Tejero, I. (2017) Nutrient removal. In J.M. Lema and S. Suarez, Innovative Wastewater Treatment & Resource Recovery Technologies: Impacts on Energy, Economy and Environment (pp. 3-39), IWA Publishing.
- Hülsen, T, Carvalho, G, Egger, F, Cruz, H, Verstraete, W, Batstone, D.J. and Pikaar, I. (2020) Wastewater Treatment Residues as Resources for Biorefinery Products and Biofuels. Olivares, J.A, Puyol, D, Melero, J.A. and Dufour, J. (eds), pp. 355-389, Elsevier.
- Capson-Tojo, G, Batstone, D. J., Grassino, M, Vlaeminck, S. E., Puyol, D, Verstraete, W, Kleerebezem, R, Oehmen, A, Ghimire, A, Pikaar, I, Lema, J. M. and Hülsen, T. (2020). Purple phototrophic bacteria for resource recovery: Challenges and opportunities. Biotechnology Advances, 43 107567.
- Egger, F, Hülsen, F, Tait, S, Batstone, D. J. (2020). Autotrophic sulfide removal by mixed culture purple phototrophic bacteria. Water Research 182, 115896.
- Dalaei, P., Bahreini, G., Nakhla, G., Santoro, D., Batstone, D. and Hülsen, T. (2020). Municipal wastewater treatment by purple phototropic bacteria at low infrared irradiances using a photo-anaerobic membrane bioreactor. Water Research 173, 115535.
- Hülsen, T., Lu, Y., Rodríguez, I., Segura, Y., Martínez, F., Puyol, D. and Batstone, D.J. (2020). Anaerobic digestion of purple phototrophic bacteria – The release step of the partition-release-recover concept. Bioresource Technology 306, 123125.
- Puyol, D., Hülsen, T., Padrino, B., Batstone, D. J., Martinez, F. and Melero, J. A. (2020). Exploring the inhibition boundaries of mixed cultures of purple phototrophic bacteria for wastewater treatment in anaerobic conditions. Water Research, 183 116057, 116057.
- de Las Heras, I., Molina, R., Segura, Y., Hülsen, T., Molina, M., Gonzalez-Benítez, N., Melero, J., Mohedano, A., Martínez, F. and Puyol, D. (2020) Contamination of N-poor wastewater with emerging pollutants does not affect the performance of purple phototrophic bacteria and the subsequent resource recovery potential. Journal of Hazardous Materials 385, 121617.
- Hülsen, T, Sander, E. M, Jensen, P.D, and Batstone, D. J. (2020). Application of purple phototrophic bacteria in a biofilm photobioreactor for single cell protein production: biofilm vs suspended growth. Water Research, 181 115909, 115909.
- Matassa, S, Papirio, S, Pikaar, I, Hülsen, T, Leijenhorst, E, Esposito, G, Pirozzi, F and Verstraete, W. (2020). Upcycling of biowaste carbon and nutrients in line with consumer confidence: the "full gas" route to single cell protein. Green Chemistry, 22 (15), 4912-4929. doi: 10.1039/d0gc01382j
- Hülsen, T, Hsieh, K and Batstone, D. J. (2019). Saline wastewater treatment with purple phototrophic bacteria. Water Research, 160, 259-267.
- Zarezadeh, S., Moheimani, N., Jenkins, S., Hülsen, T., Riahi, H., Mickan, B. (2019). Microalgae and phototrophic purple bacteria for nutrient recovery from agri-industrial effluents: Influences on plant growth, rhizosphere bacteria and putative carbon and nitrogen cycling genes. Frontiers in Plant Science 10 (1193).
- Batstone, D.J., Hülsen, T. and Oehmen, A. (2019). Metabolic modelling of mixed culture anaerobic microbial processes. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 57, 137-144.
- Delamare-Deboutteville, J, Batstone, D. J., Kawasaki, M, Stegman, S, Salini, M, Tabrett, S, Smullen, R, Barnes, A. C. and Hülsen, T. (2019). Mixed culture purple phototrophic bacteria is an effective fishmeal replacement in aquaculture. Water Research X, 4 100031, 100031.
- Hülsen, T, Hsieh, K Tait, S, Barry, E. M., Puyol, D and Batstone, D. J. (2018). White and infrared light continuous photobioreactors for resource recovery from poultry processing wastewater – a comparison. Water Research, 144, 665-676.
- Hülsen, T, Hsieh, K, Lu, Y, Tait, S and Batstone, D. J. (2018). Simultaneous treatment and single cell protein production from agri-industrial wastewaters using purple phototrophic bacteria or microalgae - a comparison. Bioresource Technology, 254, 214-223.
- Puyol, D., Barry, E. M., Hülsen, T. and Batstone, D. J. (2017). A mechanistic model for anaerobic phototrophs in domestic wastewater applications: photo-anaerobic model (PAnM). Water Research, 116, 241-253.
- Puyol, D, Batstone, D. J., Hulsen, T, Astals, S, Peces, M and Kromer, J. O. (2017). Resource recovery from wastewater by biological technologies: opportunities, challenges, and prospects. Frontiers in Microbiology, 7 (2106) 2106, 2106.
- Hülsen, T, Barry, E. M., Lu, Y, Puyol, D, Keller, J, and Batstone, D. J. (2016). Domestic wastewater treatment with purple phototrophic bacteria using a novel continuous photo anaerobic membrane bioreactor. Water Research, 100, 486-495.
- Hülsen, T, Barry, E. M., Lu, Y, Puyol, D and Batstone, D. J. (2016). Low temperature treatment of domestic wastewater by purple phototrophic bacteria: performance, activity, and community. Water Research, 100, 537-545.
- Batstone, D. J., Hülsen, T., Mehta, C. M. and Keller, J. (2015). Platforms for energy and nutrient recovery from domestic wastewater: A review. Chemosphere, 140, 2-11. doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2014.10.021
- Matassa, S, Batstone, D. J., Hülsen, T, Schnoor, J, and Verstraete, W. (2015). Can direct conversion of used nitrogen to new feed and protein help feed the world?. Environmental Science and Technology, 49 (9), 5247-5254.
- Hülsen, T, Batstone, D, J. and Keller, J. (2014). Phototrophic bacteria for nutrient recovery from domestic wastewater. Water Research, 50, 18-26.
- International Water Association
- Australian Water Association