A programme curated for all aspiring music teachers, we set out to provide a comprehensive and relevant, yet wholesome syllabus that encompasses theory, aural and pedagogical aspects of the field which in return, would meet professional expectations and demands....
In addition to theoretical learning and harmony, we also provide real-world and practical subjects that explore the spheres of excellent teaching practice that enables various philosophies of education.
Students will acquire impressive instrumental and/or classroom teachings through our specialized core subjects offered in the programme.
Candidates may be admitted into the music programs by meeting BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Pass with at least a ‘Cʼ grade (Credit) in 3 subjects
Pass with a minimum of GPA of 2.0 (Grade C) in 1 subject
Pass with at least a ‘Bʼ grade in 3 subjects
SKM/KKM (Level 3)
Pass SPM with at least a Credit in 1 subject and ‘program pengukuhanʼ (if needed)
KKM (Level 3)
Pass with a minimum CGPA of 2.0
Pass (pangkat maqbul)
Other equivalent qualification recognised by the Malaysian government
AND, pass Music Audition
Music Audition Requirements
Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Memorization is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
- Classical Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- Classical Voice: 3 pieces of contrasting styles in at least two different languages (e.g. German, Italian, French, English, Chinese)
- Contemporary Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (preferably contemporary styles: jazz, pop, rock, Latin, popular styles, etc.)
- String/woodwind/voice majors are required to bring along their own piano accompanist or request for one from the Institute. In this case, a fee will be charged. Contemporary music candidates may choose to use minus-one recordings to accompany their audition. Please bring your own laptop, tablet or other similar audio-playback device. The Institute will prepare a 1/8 – 1/8-inch audio connection.
- Composition majors are required to submit a portfolio of compositions and pass the audition on a major instrument
Aural Diagnostic Test
- Repeat a melody and a rhythmic phrase from memory.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
Theory Diagnostic Test
- Topics include intervals, scales & key signatures.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.SPM Credits – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level Credits – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credits – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language Requirements
For Local Students
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum grade of B+ in SPM English Language; or a minimum grade of C in SPM English Language 1119/O-Level English/IGCSE; or a minimum grade of A2 in UEC English language; or minimum Band 3 of MUET.
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
For International Students
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum Band 3 of MUET; or minimum score of 5.0 in IELTS; or minimum score of 42 in TOEFL iBT; or minimum score of 47 in Pearson Test of English; or minimum score of 154 in Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests.
- Applicants who have an academic qualification from a higher learning institution which uses the English Language as a medium of instruction may be granted an exemption from the University English Language requirements.
- Choir 1-4 or Orchestra 1-4
- Recital Attendance 1-4
- Masterclass Attendance 1-4
- Theory Rudiments 1-2
- Theory Studies 1-2 or Jazz Theory Studies 1-2
- Aural Training 1-4
- Keyboard Harmony
- Music Listening Skills
- Music in Malaysia – A Survey
- Classical Music Survey or Popular Music and Jazz Survey
- Major Instrument 1-5
- Minor Instrument 1-2
- Introduction to Music Notation and Sequencing
- Introduction to Music Technology
- Approaches to Teaching 1-2
- Theories of Learning
- Instrumental Pedagogy
- Micro Macro Teaching
- Teaching Project
- Teaching Internship
- Extra-curricular Learning Experience 1-2
- Professional Skills
- Malaysian Eco-Tourism
- Malaysian Studies or Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2