The Master of Science in Mathematical Sciences programme aims to prepare students with in-depth and advanced knowledge within their specific areas of mathematical sciences. It aims to inculcate in the students a systematic approach in conducting research in specialised areas..., thereby paving the way for the students to master the specific area and make original contributions to the body of knowledge and practice. Through this programme the students will develop the acumen, analytical and logical skills needed to progress further in the vast field of Mathematical Sciences.
Programme Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate originality and independence in undertaking analytical and critical evaluation, synthesis of complex information, apply knowledge critically and integratively to manage and resolve complex problems/issues through research using techniques, tools, skills or by a range of approaches or (integrative) combination of approaches for decision making and producing new ideas, and/or innovative solutions or practice. (MQF1)
- Conduct standard and specialized research approaches and/or apply practical skills, tools or investigative techniques which are informed by knowledge at its forefront and the latest development in the subject/discipline. (MQF2)
- Communicate clearly the knowledge, skills, ideas, critique and conclusion/rationale using appropriate methods ethically and professionally. (MQF3 i)
- Use a broad range of information, media and technology applications to support study and/or work. (MQF3 ii)
- Competently use a wide range of suitable technologies and appropriate software to enhance study, research and/or work/practice and show skills to design, plan evaluation activities, using quantitative/statistical tools. (MQF3 iii)
- Demonstrate significant autonomy, independence, leadership, and interpersonal skills. (MQF3 iv)
- Exemplify self-advancement through continuous academic and/or professional development. (MQF4)
- Demonstrate adherence to legal, professional and ethically sound codes of practice. (MQF5)
- Provide a pathway for existing BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science and BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science and Finance students in UCSI University to further their studies at the master level.
- A lot of postgraduate degree holders in Mathematical Sciences are needed to fulfill human resources requirement in STEM (M stands for mathematics).
- Candidates are supervised by the experienced researchers with PhD qualification.
Bachelor’s degree in Mathematical Sciences or other related areas with:
- A Bachelor’s degree with minimum CGPA of 2.5 out of 4.0, or its equivalent qualifications as accepted by UCSI University;
- A Bachelor’s degree with CGPA below 2.5 out of 4.0, or its equivalent qualifications can be accepted, subject to a minimum of 5 years of working experience in relevant field.
English Language Requirements
For Local and International Students:
Pearson Test of English63
Cambridge English Qualification and Tests176
- International applicants who do not meet the English Language requirements will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00929) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and/or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking additional English proficiency courses.
- Applicants who have an academic qualification from a higher learning institution which uses the English Language as a medium of instruction may be granted an exemption from the University English Language requirements.
- Research Methods in Mathematical Sciences
Semesters 2 and 3
- Master's Dissertation
- Master's Dissertation
- Data Analyst
- Data Scientist
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Operation Research Analyst