Students of this programme will receive a strong engineering foundation in electrical technology, telecommunication, control and instrumentation systems, as well as digital and analogue electronics. Expect plenty of hands-on training in cutting-edge laboratories as you hone your technical skills and tackle complex projects.
* This programme received a 100% graduate employability score in the Ministry of Higher Education’s Graduate Employability 2020. (Source: ge.mohe.gov.my/)
The duration of the programme is approximately 2 years and 4 months.
In each year there are two long-semesters consisting of 14 weeks of instruction with 2 weeks of examinations, and one short-semester consisting of 7 weeks of instruction with 1 week of examinations. The long-semesters start in January and May, while the short-semester starts in September.
In the months of September to Decembers, students undergo industrial training under the Co-Operative Placement Scheme to learn and to familiarise themselves with real life working environment. In addition, students also undertake a design project near the end of their studies, which aids in developing the students’ skills in design, problem solving and report writing.
The number of contact hours per course per week depends on the credit and teaching methodology of each course. Each credit is approximately equivalent to 1 hour of class, or 2 hours of labs per week.
The teaching and learning strategies and assessment are designed depending on and according to the nature of course or topic being taught or investigated. The Faculty implements different methods and styles of teaching and learning and assessment to ensure the successful achievement of the learning outcomes of its programmes, that includes:
- Ordinary classroom lectures
- Group tutorials
- Laboratory works
- Seminars and eforums
- Directed and self learning
- Invited guest lectures
- Industrial visits
Pass SPM or its equivalent with at least credits in THREE (3) subjects, including Mathematics and ONE (1) relevant science / technical / vocational subject AND a pass in English;
Minimum 3 credits inclusive of Mathematics and Science/Technical/Vocational (Pass is required for English)
Minimum 3 C’s; inclusive of Mathematics and Science
Other qualifications deemed equivalent to STPM/A-Level by Malaysian Qualifications Agency
*Pass in Mathematics, English and one relevant science /technical/ vocational subject at the SPM level.
Other qualifications deemed equivalent to SPM/O-Level by Malaysian Qualifications Agency
*Minimum 3 credits including Mathematics and one relevant science/technical/ vocational subject and a pass in English
Certificates from Polytechnics from relevant field
Minimum 50% average
(Admission level: case–to-case basis)
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Dean or Head of Department to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.SPM Credit – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language Requirements
For Local Students
CEFRB1 (High B1)
SPM English LanguageGrade B+
SPM English Language 1119/O-Level/IGCSEGrade C
UEC English LanguageGrade A2
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
For International Students
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests154
TOEFL ESSENTIALS (ONLINE)7.5
Pearson Test of English47
CEFRB1 (High B1)
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00929) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and/or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- **The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking the additional English proficiency courses.
- Engineering Physics 1
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Computer Applications (Computing Essentials)
- Electrical and Electronics Principles
- Engineering Physics 2
- Circuit Analysis 1
- Engineering Design
- Digital Electronics
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Engineering Principles
- Applied Computing (Computing for Engineers)
- Circuit Analysis 2
- Electrical Technology 1
- Electrical Technology 2
- Telecommunication Principles
- Industrial Studies
- Analogue Electronics
- Engineering Mathematics 3
- Industrial Training I
- Project A
- Control & Instrumentation Systems
- Microprocessor Based Systems
- Project B
- Appreciation of Ethics and Civilisations
(Penghayatan Etika and Peradaban)
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 2
(Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2)
This degree programme provides excellent preparation for a career in electronics and integrated circuit design, communications and signal processing, electrical and power systems, software and systems engineering, management consultancy, and almost any other profession that requires good analytical and professional skills.
Graduates are able to ﬁnd career opportunities in the following roles:
- Design Engineer
- Project Engineer
- R&D Engineer
- System Design
- Analog Design
- Test Engineer
- PCB Design Engineer
- Electrical Engineer
- Digital Design
- Mixed Signal Design