Unleash your creativity and design expertise with this cutting-edge Diploma of Engineering Technology (Industrial Design). This dynamic and innovative programme is specifically designed to equip you with the technical knowledge, design skills and industry insights needed to thrive in the fast-paced world of industrial design.
At the core of this programme are skills-based courses that allow you to operate computer-aided design systems, interact with computing technology, and explore the fourth industrial revolution. You'll learn how to ideate, prototype and refine designs using the latest technologies, including computer-aided design (CAD) and 3D printing. With a focus on practical, hands-on learning, you'll be immersed in a range of design projects that reflect real-world scenarios and challenges.
This programme offers a selection of exciting electives with coherent fundamentals to suit your interests and ensure you're ready for employment. Whether you're interested in product design, process engineering design, environmental process design, or electrical and electronics system design, you'll have the freedom to tailor your studies to your individual goals.
The Diploma of Engineering Technology (Industrial Design) programme combines engineering principles with creative design thinking, giving students a unique perspective on the design processes. This programme has obtained provisional accreditation from the Engineering Technology Accreditation Standard (ETAC) and the Malaysian Qualification Agency (MQA), ensuring its quality and recognition. With a total of 90 credit hours to complete, students will have the opportunity to work on real-world design projects both independently and in teams throughout the programme, allowing them to showcase their skills and knowledge in designing innovative solutions to real-world problems. In the final semester, students will engage in industrial training to hone their professional skills, promoting growth and development while gaining hands-on experience in industrial and technological skills.
The teaching and learning strategies and assessments are designed depending on and according to the nature of the course or topic being taught or investigated. The Faculty implements different methods and styles of teaching and learning and assessment to ensure the successful achievement of the learning outcomes of its programmes, which include:
- Classroom lectures
- Group tutorials
- Laboratory works
- Seminars and eforums
- Directed and self-learning
- Invited guest lectures
- Industrial visits
Pass SPM or its equivalent with at least credits in THREE (3) subjects, including Mathematics and ONE (1) relevant Science/ Technical/ Vocational subject AND a pass in English.
Minimum B in 3 subjects including Mathematics and Science/ Technical/ Vocational subject. (Pass is required for English)
Minimum 3C’s; including Mathematics and Science subjects.
STPM/ A-Level/ or equivalent
Pass in Mathematics, English and ONE (1) relevant Science/ Technical/ Vocational subject at the SPM level.
Recognised Malaysian Skills Certificate (SKM) (Level 3 MQF)
Pass SKM AND a maximum of ONE (1) year or TWO (2) semesters bridging programme apply.
Recognised Certificate (Engineering/Engineering Technology)
Minimum CGPA of 2.00
Recognised Related Technical/Vocational/Skills Certificate or equivalent
Minimum CGPA of 2.00 with ONE (1) year relevant working experience or a minimum of ONE (1) semester of a bridging programme apply.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Dean or Head of Department to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.SPM Credit – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language Requirements
For Local Students
CEFRB1 (High B1)
SPM English LanguageGrade B+
SPM English Language 1119/O-Level/IGCSEGrade C
UEC English LanguageGrade A2
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
For International Students
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests154
TOEFL ESSENTIALS (ONLINE)7.5
Pearson Test of English47
CEFRB1 (High B1)
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00929) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and/or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- **The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking the additional English proficiency courses.
- Introduction to Engineering
- Engineering Mathematics 1
- Engineering Drawing & CAD
- Structure and Properties of Materials
- Computer Applications
- Engineering Mathematics 2
- Engineering Fundamental 1
- Engineering Statics
- Workshop and Technology Practice 1
- Engineering Mathematics 3
- Fundamental of Project Management
- Engineering Fundamental 2
- Programming for Engineers
- Engineering Dynamics
- Workshop and Technology Practice 2
- Safety, Health and Environment
- Design Project
- Design Methodology
- Engineering Automation and Technology
- Final Year Project
Elective Courses (Select 1 Stream Only)
Stream 1: Industrial Manufacturing Technology
Machining and Welding Practice
Product Design & Manufacture
Stream 2: Electrical & Electronics Technology
Electrical & Electronics Principles
Electrical & Electronics System Design
Stream 3: Process Engineering
Process Engineering Principle
Process Safety and Commissioning
Stream 4: Environmental Process Design
Water and Wastewater Management
- Industrial Training
- Appreciation of Ethics and Civilisations
(Penghayatan Etika dan Peradaban)
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 2
(Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2)
- U2 - Entrepreneurship
- U4 - Extra-curricular Learning Experience 1 and Extra-curricular Learning Experience 2
With a diverse range of skills in industrial design, process design, electrical electronics design, and environmental process design, graduates of this expanded diploma programme would be well-equipped to pursue a variety of careers in engineering and design across various industries. Some of the possible career paths for graduates of this programme include:
- CAD Draftsperson
- CAD Designer
- Industrial Designer
- Assistant Product Development Engineer
- Assistant Process Engineer
- Assistant Electrical Engineer
- Assistant Environmental Engineer