Research Impact:Google Scholar
Dr Shashikala Sivapathy
Head of Department, Foundation in Science | Department of Food Science and Nutrition
PhD Science (Nutrition)
MSc Community Nutrition
BSc (Hons) Nutrition & Community Health
Areas of Interest
Childhood obesity intervention
Obesogenic environment in school
- Nutrition Society of Malaysia (NSM)-Life member
- Malaysian Association for the Study of Obesity (MASO)- Ordinary Member
- Name of grant: PSIF
Funder: UCSI University
Project Title: School Canteen: Qualitative Insights from students, teachers and canteen operators.
Code: Proj-In Fas-037
Duration: 1.5 years
Role: Principal investigator
Name of grant: REIG
Funder: UCSI University
Project Title: NuTeen Phase 2: Scale up of a Canteen Intervention to increase implementation of a school Healthy Canteen Policy.
Duration: 2 years
Role : Principal Investigator
- Shashikala, S. Vaidehi, U. Kandiah, M. (2020). Association between food habits and nutritional status of secondary school students in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Baseline findings from Nuteen Project. Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, 66(supplement):S256-S261.
- Shashikala, S. Chang, CY. Chai, WJ. Ang, YK. Yim, HS. (2013) Assessment of hydration status and body composition of athlete and non-athlete subjects using Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis, Journal of Physical Education and Sport, 13(2):157-162.
- Shashikala, S. Kandiah, M. Zalilah, M.S. and Khor, G.L. (2005) Nutritional Status of 1-3 years old children and maternal care behaviours in the Orang Asli Malaysia. The South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 18:173-180.
- Latiffah, A.L., Nor Afiah M. and Shashikala, S.(2005) Psychological Well Being of the Elderly in Peninsular Malaysia. International Medical Journal, 4(2).
- Ng, W.C., Zalilah, M.S, Khor, G.L., Wan Norlida, W.G., Haslinah, A., Shashikala, S. Kandiah, M., Nawalyah, A.G. and Hejar, A.R. (2005) A Qualitative Study on perceptions and knowledge of Orang Asli Mothers on child health and nutrition. Malaysian Journal of Nutrition, 11(2):75-88.
Contributions to Society
- Life member of Nutrition Society of Malaysia
- Sub-committee member and chapter contributor for Malaysian Dietary Guidelines for Pregnant and Lactating mothers, Nutrition Division, Ministry of Health Malaysia
- Sub committee member and chapter contributor for Malaysian Dietary Guidelines for Vegetarian, Nutrition Division, Ministry of Health Malaysia.
- Sub-committee member and chapter contributor for Malaysian Dietary Guidelines for Older Person, Nutrition Division, Ministry of Health Malaysia.