|Approval Code||R2/462/6/0016; 03/2025|
|Subject Area||Actuarial Science|
|Course Duration||3 Years|
|Course Location||Kuala Lumpur|
|Intakes||January, May and September|
Actuaries are professional deal with the financial impact of risk and uncertainty. They use skills in mathematics, economic, computer science, finance, probability and statistics, and business to assess the likelihood of occurrence of certain risky events formulate policies that minimize the cost of these risks. As such, actuaries are essential to the insurance and reinsurance industry. In addition, they can be consultants to other businesses, including sponsors of pension plans; and to government agencies such as bank Negara Malaysia. The 3-year BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science programme provides a solid grounding in mathematics, accounting, finance and statistic to integrate theories with actual experience and build a foundation for students to pursuit professional career in the financial risk management industry.
Students will be furnished with the essential leadership qualities, communication skills, problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, as well as entrepreneurial and managerial skills that will enable them to face the challenging yet exciting world, where risks can be turned into opportunities.
The assessment includes a combination of examinations, projects and assignments, and finally a requirement to complete a dissertation in Independent Project in the final year. Students will acquire up-to-date vocational skills that are relevant and competitive. This reflects the complex and challenging nature of the accounting, finance and business realms.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of Department to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
'A' Levels principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language Requirements
- IELTS minimum Band 5.5
- TOEFL (Internet-based) minimum 46
- Cambridge English Qualification and Test minimum score of 161
- Pearson Test of English minimum score 51
- MUET minimum Band 3
- Applicants who have studied at least one year in a programme at an Institution of Higher Learning with minimum overall CGPA of 2.00 / average percentage of 50% where English is the medium of instruction. Applicants must produce a verification letter from the Institute of Higher Learning confirming the medium used in the delivery of the programme was in English.
Many corporations today have acknowledged the need for financial specialists with the skills to manage risk. Upon completion of this programme, graduates will be furnished with the proper understanding of management know-how and are prepared for the relevant professional examinations. Graduates can seek employment in key industry streams such as:
- Actuarial Executive
- Enterprise Risk Analyst
- Bank Executive
- Financial Analyst
- Financial Planning Advisor
- Calculus and Analytical Geometry
- Statistics and its Application
- Business Accounting
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Mathematics 1
- Probability Theory
- Financial Management 1
- Managerial Accounting
- Elective 1
- Co-Operative Placement 1
- Mathematics 2
- Mathematical Statistics
- Introduction to Stochastic Process
- Applied Statistical Models
- Mathematics of Interest Rate
- Life Contingencies 1
- Mathematics of Financial Derivatives
- Visual Basic. Net
- Loss Models
- Business Communications
- Elective 2
- Co-Operative Placement 2
- Life Contingencies 2
- Independent Project 1
- Stochastic Calculus for Insurance and Finance
- Elective 3
- Independent Project 2
- Statistical Methods for Insurance
- Credibility Theory
- Statistical Stimulation for Financial Modelling
- Co-Operative Placement 3
- Electives 1 & 2
- Fundamental of Marketing
- Fundamentals of Management
- Introduction to Internet Technologies
- Accounting Information System
- Business Modelling with Spreadsheet
- Business Information System
- Business Law
- Corporate Finance
- Numerical & Computing Method
- Elective 3
- Actuarial Practice
- Investment Portfolio Management
- Ethnic Relations
- Islamic Civilisation and Asian Civilisation
- Malaysian Studies
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 3
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.
- Obtain all three VEE (Validation by Educational Experience) credits before graduation – the equivalent of core subjects needed to attain a membership.
- VEE credits may go towards other actuarial qualifications such as from the Casualty Actuarial Society and Canadian Institute of Actuaries.
- UCSI is one of a few Malaysian private universities recognised as one of SoA’s UCAP (Universities and COLLEGES WITH Actuarial Programmes) schools.
- UCSI provides the most comprehensive SoA exam coverage in Malaysia.
- The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries (IFoA), UK has granted an Accreditation by Subject Agreement covering their CM1, CB1 and CB2 modules to UCSI University’s BSc. (Hons) Actuarial Science and BSc. (Hons) Actuarial Science and Finance programmes.
- Students who have passed the necessary courses with the required marks/grade that are set by IFoA , are eligible to receive these exemptions. These exemptions are effective from the Jan-Apr 2019 semester onwards.
- UCSI University is the first private institution in Malaysia recognised by IFoA, UK.
International Degree Pathway (IDP) via BSc (Hons) Actuarial Science
|BSc Actuarial Science||1 + 2||University of Essex||United Kingdom||£ 13750|
For enquiry, please contact us at [email protected] or call us at +603 9101 8880 ext 2066.