|Approval Code||N/581/8/0109; 12/2022|
|Classification||Doctor of Philosophy in Architecture|
|Subject Area||Architecture and the Built Environment|
|Course Mode||Full time/Part Time|
|Course Duration||Full Time: 3 - 5 Years, Part Time: 4 - 7 Years|
|Course Location||Kuala Lumpur|
|Intakes||January - December|
The Doctor of Philosophy Architecture course in UCSI University prepares the candidate to evaluate existing designs, education, building practices and policies on architecture and built environment.
The course trains the candidate to suggest design theories, ideas and framework that are culturally sensitive, energy saving and environmentally sustainable.
Candidates will also experience a new approach of team supervision that crosses the boundary of traditional fields as professionals like architects, engineers, and social scientists are invited to nurture a whole new crop of scholars that would incorporate various practices of designing and planning of buildings, complexes, towns and cities.
- A relevant Master’s degree from an institution of higher learning recognised by Senate.; or
- Other certificates that are recognised as equivalent to a Master’s degree or other relevant professional qualifications and experience that are recognised by Senate; or
- Candidates registered for Master’s degree programmes with a minimum CGPA of 3.67 at Bachelor’s degree level may apply to convert their candidacy to PhD programme subjected to having shown competency and capability in conducting research at doctoral degree level and approval by the Senate.
- For students with a Master’s degree in architecture and its related fields such as interior design/architecture, planning, industrial design and landscape architecture, the minimum CGPA or equivalent is 2.50.
- For students from the field of anthropology, sociology, psychology, history, philosophy, religious studies, visual arts and communication, the entry requirement would be 3.00 CGPA or equivalent.
- For students from the field of civil engineering, electronics engineering, electrical engineering and physics, the entry requirement would be 3.00 CGPA or equivalent.
- Students from the requirements of (5) and (6) who has a CGPA of less than 3.0 but not less than 2.5 must demonstrate past experiences in practice or academic world deemed related to architecture.
IELTS score Band 6.0; TOEFL score of 213 (computer-based) or 550 (paper-based) or 79-80 (Internet Based test, IBT) or a first degree from a University where the medium of instruction is English.
* As per Malaysia MOE Approval
Academic experts, advisors to government policy makers, special consultant to architects, inventors of building products, expert architects in Public Works Department, specialist architects, top management in local authority.
Area of Focus:
- History of Architecture
- Theory of Design
- Cultural Studies of Spaces and Forms
- Behavioural and Perception Studies of Spaces and Forms
- Heritage Architecture
- Architecture Education
- Interior Architecture
- Building Typology
- Urban Studies
- Theory of Architectural Practice
- Architecture Communication
- Energy Conservation in Buildings
- Thermal Comfort in Buildings
- Sustainable Building Design and Cities
- Construction Process in Building
Issues and Methods of Architecture Research
The candidate will be exposed to the various issues of architecture and will be provided a basic training in writing an academic paper. This subject will be a bi-weekly lecture to be completed within one semester.
Each semester, the candidate is required to have a several discussions with the supervisor to receive feedback and to discuss the progress of the research study.
Prior to graduation, the candidate is expected to publish a minimum of 4 papers in a peer-re-reviewed journal or on a peer-reviewed conference paper. An oral presentation is also required, every semester, in front of an academic audience from the faculty. This is to develop the public speaking ability and knowledge sharing.