ICAD's Doctor of Philosophy in Art, Design and Creative Media offers the choice to write a full research thesis, or to develop a creative work accompanied by a research report. This dual pathway is perfect for creative practitioners and artists who may want an advanced doctoral study of their own practice without the challenge of a full research thesis.
ICAD's Doctor of Philosophy in Art, Design and Creative Media is the highest level of study that offers creative practitioners an opportunity to graduate with a PhD by developing their creative work in a dual pathway study, where PhD students can choose to either write a full research thesis, or to develop creative work accompanied by a research report.
Doctoral students are provided with the opportunity to explore how art, design, and fashion can be reframed and repurposed through critical ideas that deploy digital and technological innovations in terms of animation, visual and CG effects, and other digital media. Exploring how art, design, creative practice, and digital technology intersects, PhD students will be expected to drive their creative practice through some research into these relevant areas. With this programme, practice-based doctoral students no longer have to struggle with writing a full-length doctoral thesis in order to graduate.
The Doctor of Philosophy in Art, Design and Creative Media is ideal for those who wish to advance their academic profile with a critical practice component to upgrade their professional skills and to promote their career opportunities. Graduates will be able to frame their creative practice through research and allow graduates to successfully contribute to research-backed policymaking for the creative industries, data-informed strategies for IP creation in the arts, and to spearhead visionary initiatives – as advanced practitioners or creative strategists – that will push the boundaries of the creative industries in Malaysia and their respective global communities.
- A Master’s degree in the relevant field (Level 7, MQF), as accepted by the HEP’s Senate;
- Other qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree (Level 7, MQF) that are accepted by the HEP’s Senate;
- Other relevant equivalent qualifications recognized by the Malaysian Government.
- Pass an interview or submission of portfolio determined by De Institute of Creative Arts and Design, UCSI University as required.
Candidates can enter through direct entry to the Doctoral Degree with the following conditions:
- Students have first class Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification; or
- Students have obtained CGPA of at least 3.67 or equivalent from either an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme;
- Evaluated through rigorous internal assessment by the HEP;
- Approved by the HEP Senate and accepted as a candidate for the Doctoral Degree (Level 8, MQF) programme. Students must demonstrate appropriate progress during the candidature period.
English Language Requirements
For International Students
Pearson Test of English51
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)160
- Research Methodology in Arts & Design
- Graduate Seminar
Choose one Core:
- Creative Practice and Exegesis
The University may allow exemption for outstanding students to complete their studies within a shorter period.
- Creative Content Creator
- Visual Effects Director
- Fashion Director
- Design Strategist