This research programme aims to prepare graduates with in-depth and advanced knowledge within their specific areas of Mathematical Sciences. It also aims to inculcate in students a systematic and ethical approach in conducting research in specialised areas..., thereby paving the way for the students to make significant contributions to the body of knowledge and practice.
- UCSI University is one of the few private universities offering this programme.
- Pathway for existing Master of Actuarial Management (Structure B & C) students in UCSI University to further their studies at the doctoral level in the area of Mathematical Sciences.
- Many postgraduate degree holders in Mathematical Sciences are needed to fulfill human resources requirement in STEM (M stands for Mathematics) (MOE,2013). This programme can fill in this gap.
- Courses are taught by experienced researchers with PhD qualification.
ii. Other qualifications equivalent to a Master’s degree in Mathematical Sciences or other related areas that is accepted by the UCSI University Senate.
Notei. UCSI University can accept candidates with excellent Bachelor’s degree (Level 6, MQF) for direct admission to the Doctoral programme (by research) (Level 8, MQF) with the following conditions:
- Obtained first class bachelor’s degree or equivalent; or
- Obtained Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) with at least 3.67 or equivalent from academic programme or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme; and
- Rigorous internal assessment by UCSI University; and
- Approved by UCSI University’s Senate and admitted as a candidate for Doctoral programme (Level 8, MQF). Student must demonstrate appropriate progress during the candidature period.
- Having shown competency and capability in conducting research at Doctoral degree level
- Rigorous internal evaluation by the UCSI University.
- Approved by the UCSI University Senate.
The requirement to pass Mathematics and English at SPM level in the first and second items can be waived should the qualifications contain Mathematics and English subjects with equivalent/higher achievement.
English Language Requirements
For International Students
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests(i) B1 Preliminary, B2 First, C1 Advanced, C2 Proficiency: 169
(ii) Linguaskill Online: 169
(iii) Occupational English Test (OET): 250
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests160
TOEFL Essentials (Online)8.5
Pearson Test of English59
- International applicants have to fulfill the English requirements as listed above for international students before applying the programme.
- International applicants who come from a country which uses English Language as the official language OR have an academic qualification from a higher learning institution which uses English Language as a medium of instruction can be granted an exemption from the University English requirements and MQA requirement.
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirements will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00929) for maximum 2 years AND pass one of the English examination as listed for international students.
- Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and/or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- Advanced Research Methods in Mathematical Sciences
- PhD Thesis
- Data Scientist
- Risk Analyst
- Systems Analyst
- Business Analyst
- University Lecturer
- Researcher in Business and Industry
Upon successful completion of the programme, student will be able to:
PLO 1. Demonstrate comprehensive, systematic, integrated, complex and abstract ideas of current critical issues in the most advanced frontiers of knowledge in the Mathematical Sciences field. (MQF1)
PLO 2. Critically analyse, evaluate and synthesise new, complex and abstract ideas and current issues in the most advanced frontiers of knowledge of a field of Mathematical Sciences and refine existing concepts and practices. Make substantial contribution through the creation of new knowledge, theories, solutions and practice through originality and independent research, which satisfies peer reviews and international standards. (MQF2)
PLO 3. Demonstrate mastery of practical, technical skills or practices and scientific skills which is at the forefront of one or more areas of specialisation and demonstrate ability to design and implement or adapt highly advanced, specialised research methodologies which is at the forefront of one or more area of specialisation. (MQF3 i)
PLO 4. Convey information, insights, ideas, problems and communicate effectively research findings to peers, scholarly communities and society at large in the Mathematical Sciences field of expertise (MQF3 ii)
PLO 5. Use, select or improve existing or develop new appropriate tools or methodologies to support and enhance research activities. (MQF3 iii)
PLO 6. Work with substantial autonomy, independence, and authority in the conduct and management of research and resources, which contribute to new knowledge, advanced practices, processes and products. (MQF3 iv)
PLO 7. Take full responsibility for own work and where relevant be accountable for overall management of one’s research organization. (MQF4)
PLO 8. Demonstrate adherence to legal, professional and ethically sound codes of practice. (MQF5)