The Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Sciences is the leading postgraduate credential under the Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences. The programme brings together the best minds from academia and the industry. It envisions academics working tandemly with their students on research in diverse fields.
The Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences comprises qualified and experienced lecturers who guide PhD candidates in their research projects. Among the research interests of our faculty members are virology, bacteriology, immunology, cancer, phytochemistry, public health, healthy aging and many more.
Our mission in research
How do we enhance the student experience?
Our faculty recognises the significance of sharing our research experience with students and forming a collaboration with them while actively promoting research in various subjects. Our study focuses on matters of national significance. The programme strives to provide students with superior supervision, high-quality projects, and adequate research facilities. Students will develop professional competence, intellectual creativity, self-assurance, leadership, and scientific expertise and become independent researchers.
- Research Methodology that assists in the management of research.
- Supervisory committee to support the student throughout their academic programme.
- Conference funding that supports research presentations at conferences.
- User-friendly access to online journals, eBooks and dissertations.
- Platforms such as journal clubs to improve their scientific review and presentation skills.
- A vast range of workshops including topics on academics, information technology, communication, and statistical analysis.
- Office of Postgraduate Studies to provide consultations on policies and guidelines.
Our faculty has four well-equipped laboratories to meet different research needs. Laboratories can accommodate up to thirty postgraduate students.
- Anatomy and Pathology lab
- Molecular Cell Biology lab
- Cell Culture Lab
- Microscopy lab
The university has invested in bolstering the research capacity by purchasing high-end equipment.
Research funding and scholarship
In 2022, our researchers have received over RM 1.2 million in external grants and over RM 450,000 in internal research grants. As our research capability continues to expand, internal research support and clusters have been established to consolidate, increase research resources, and create national and worldwide research partnerships.
The university awards the UCSI University Trust Graduate Fellowship to outstanding international and local postgraduate students. For applications and enquiries, email: UCSI University Trust at [email protected] or UCSI University, Office of Postgraduate Studies.
- A Master's degree (Level 7, Malaysian Qualifications Framework (MQF) in Medical Sciences or related fields accepted by UCSI University; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a Master's degree (Level 7, MQF) recognised by the Government of Malaysia.
- Candidates without a related qualification in the fields or working experience in the relevant fields must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by UCSI University.
A Bachelor's degree (Level 6, MQF) with the following conditions:
- A Bachelor's degree (Level 6, MQF) in Medical Sciences or related fields with first-class (CGPA of 3.67 or higher) or its equivalent from an academic or Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) programme.
- Undergo internal assessment; and
- Any other requirements of UCSI University.
A Bachelor’s degree candidate pursuing a master’s degree programme, may apply for conversion to our doctoral programme with the following conditions:
- Within 1 year for full time and within 2 years for part-time candidates.
- Having shown competency and capability in conducting research at doctoral level through rigorous internal evaluation by UCSI University; and
- Approval of UCSI University.
English Language Requirements
As the programme’s medium of instruction is English, students must possess one of the following qualifications:
LinguaskillMinimum score of 154
IELTSMinimum band of 5.0
Cambridge English Qualification and TestMinimum score of 154
TOEFLMinimum score of 42
Pearson Test of EnglishMinimum score of 47
MUETMinimum band of 3
Note: Candidates who fail to fulfil the above criteria may be required to take an English Proficiency Course at the University.
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00929) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and/or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
English Language Course Exemption:
- Applicants from the countries where English is the primary language may be exempted from taking English classes at UCSI University. Applicants who are pursuing Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in other universities that use English as the medium of instruction may be exempted from taking English classes at UCSI University if the alma mater’s Registrar issues an official letter indicating so to the University.
- Research Methodology
- PhD Research Project
- PhD Research Project
- Viva and Thesis
The University may allow exemption for outstanding students to complete their studies within a shorter period.
Higher education institutes, government agencies, research institutes as well as any other companies that require knowledge worker.