OverviewICAD's Master of Art, Design and Creative Media is Malaysia's first practice-led Master's degree offered by a private university. Perfect for creative practitioners and artists, this 1-year programme allows students to graduate with a creative work accompanied by a shorter research report, instead of a full research thesis.
"Creative practitioners who want to take an advanced level of academic study often find it challenging to adjust from their practice to academic study, which can be quite theoretical.
ICAD’s Master of Art, Design and Creative Media is designed to close this gap by allowing students to graduate by developing their creative work.
With a minimum study period of only 1 year, students are provided with the opportunity to enhance their understanding of their own critical production in the field of arts, design and other forms of creative media and digital creative content. They will be allowed to understand their work in society and the creative potential of adopting digital creative technologies. The final graduating submission is a creative artwork accompanied by a research report explaining the work. With this programme, practice-based students no longer have to struggle with writing a full-length research thesis in order to graduate.
The Master of Art, Design and Creative Media is ideal for those who wish to advance their academic profile with a critical practice component to upgrade their professional skills and to promote their career opportunities. Graduates will be able to frame their creative practice through research and allow graduates to successfully contribute to research-backed policymaking for the creative industries, data-informed strategies for IP creation in the arts, and to spearhead visionary initiatives – as advanced practitioners or creative strategists – that will push the boundaries of the creative industries in Malaysia and their respective global communities."
- A Bachelor’s degree (Level 6, MQF) or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.75 in the relevant field, as accepted by the HEP’s Senate;
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree (Level 6, MQF) or equivalent with at least CGPA of 2.50 in the relevant field and has not achieved CGPA 2.75, can be accepted to rigorous internal assessment;
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree (Level 6, MQF) or equivalent with CGPA of less than 2.50 in the relevant field and and a minimum of five (5) years working experience in the relevant field;
- Other relevant equivalent qualifications recognized by the Malaysian Government.
- Pass an interview or submission of portfolio determined by De Institute of Creative Arts and Design, UCSI University as required.
English Language Requirements
For International Students
Pearson Test of English51
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)160
- The medium of instruction is English Language for the Bachelor Degree studies.
- Research Methodology in Arts & Design
- Digital Art, Design and Creative Media Technologies in Southeast Asia
- Critical Practice and Production Culture
- Graduate Seminar
- Creative Practice 1
- Creative Practice 2
- Exegesis 1
- Exegesis 2
The University may allow exemption for outstanding students to complete their studies within a shorter period.
- Creative content creator
- Visual effects supervisor
- Fashion director
- Design Strategist