In today’s globalised and fast-paced world, technology is integral
in all aspects – from business to personal. Technology, particularly information technology (IT) is undoubtedly central to creating
value and for this reason it continues to warrant a rising share of
total investments for many companies. This makes technology a
lucrative field, particularly for individuals who are entrepreneurs
with a core business in technology....
At the forefront of technology and business, the School of IT addresses this need through its MSc in Technopreneurship. The programme is the first to be offered by a private institution of higher learning and it received the industry’s support when it had the honour of being launched in 2013 by Mr Muhammad Imran Kunalan Abdullah, the talent head of Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) – the overseer of MSC Malaysia’s rapid growth.
UCSI’s MSc in Technopreneurship is designed to merge the best of entrepreneurship with the skills needed to harness technology to build internationally-recognised businesses and brands. Through close industry collaborations and feedback, we understand the importance of hands-on learning and applicable knowledge. If you are looking to tap into the booming technology industry, this programme will serves as your launch pad.
* This programme received a 100% graduate employability score in the Ministry of Higher Education’s Graduate Employability 2020. (Source: ge.mohe.gov.my/)
As the first technopreneur programme offered by a private Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) in Malaysia, UCSI University’s Master of Science in Technopreneurship has been designed with the specific aim to develop promising technology-based entrepreneurs and leaders, who are functionally equipped with the fundamental skills, competencies and perseverance to build internationally-recognised businesses and brands.
Entrepreneurial activities have long been recognised as a major contributor to the economy and in recent times, demand for more homegrown technopreneurs has been constantly and adamantly highlighted by both academicians and industry players alike. Recognising this need, UCSI University developed the programme by synthesising the academic arena and industry best practices to promote sustainable personal and organisational growth through lifelong learning.
This is made possible by our specially-designed learning experience that emphasises pragmatic approach to complement our theoretical classes. By advocating the Praxis model, we are firm in our belief that it enables learners to go beyond the classroom and to expand their horizons by instilling creativity and innovation in their thinking process. Our Praxis centres will act as an incubator to guide and nurture aspiring technopreneurs, and provide a medium for them to establish their business and academic connections, which is undoubtedly vital especially in the early years of a start-up.
Technology innovation ↔ Entrepreneurial viable idea
- The first private IHL offering this programme
- The Praxis concept is applied to this programme
- Great demand of Technopreneurship in Malaysia and worldwide (MDeC announced the needs of technopreneurs in Malaysia – added value to the programme) [VALUE UP]
- Praxis Centres become the incubator to nurture technopreneurs [COST down]
- To nurture creative and innovative technopreneurs that contribute to the nation and worldwide
- The Praxis concept is applied to this programme
- Graduate attributes of this programme are job creators or market inventors or technological employers
- Become a role model and provide opportunities for others and reduce job unemployment rate in Malaysia
UCSI University's MSc. in Technopreneurship is a full-time one-year programme with a trimester offering. Each semester lasts 14 weeks.
Weekday evenings and weekend; classes are scheduled on weekday evenings from 6:30pm – 10:00pm and on Saturdays from 9:00am – 5:30pm.
MSc. in Technopreneurship is designed with a learning experience beyond the classroom. This programme combines institutionalised learning with practical experience during the networking sessions with industry players. It provides students with significant, fascinating and stimulating experiences through a variety of innovative teaching and learning techniques. The dynamic learning process involves various methods: inviting prominent guest speakers and adjunct professors, industry visit, live consulting, case studies, networking sessions and involving real-life applications and entrepreneurial experiences.
We consider assessment as an integral part of the learning process and as such we assess students continuously throughout the programme. Assessment may take the form of group work, individual assignments, research, seminars or formal examinations. In addition, a project or case study is a requirement in order to complete the programme.
A bachelor’s degree with minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent.
A recognised bachelor’s degree with CGPA below 2.50 or equivalent.
Minimum of 5 years working experience in relevant field.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
English Language Requirements
Pearson Test of English59
Cambridge English Qualification and Test169
- Research Design and Analysis
- Technopreneurship I
- From Science to Business – Concept in IT
- New Venture Creation
- Developing New High Technology Product and Market Development
- Technopreneurship II
- Venture Captial Financing
- Web-Enabling Technology & Innovative Business Model
- Business Accounting for Decision Making
- Financial Management & Policy in Technopreneurship
- New Venture & Entrepreneurship Marketing
- Entrepreneurship Case Study Project
- Entrepreneurship & Business Planning
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.
Graduates of this programme will be equipped with knowledge to start their own business or take up jobs and build careers in the following areas:
- Technology Evangelist
- Technology Evaluator
- Project Manager
- Business Development Director
- E-Commerce Consultant