UCSI University’s BA (Hons) in Event & Tourism Management is a 3-year programme that equips you with operational, supervisory and managerial knowledge and skills, required for modern management of business industry. It covers a wide range of areas from conventions, events to tourism.
Tourism is viewed as a very important and viable industry worldwide. In Malaysia, it is one of the fastest growing and largest revenue earner providing massive business and employment opportunities.
Within the field of tourism, is the rapidly booming business of meetings, conventions and events. The state of Sarawak has launched the Sarawak Convention Bureau (SCB) in view of this favourable opportunity. Into its first year of operations, the SCB has already confirmed 24 new meetings for the state - translated into an estimation of 16,000 hotel room nights and RM16.3 million in direct delegate expenditure.
Recognising the potential of this vibrant industry and its need of qualified human capital, UCSI University Kuching Campus introduces the B.A. (HONS.) Events & Tourism Management as a means to guide students into a most successful and rewarding career in Event & Tourism.
Graduates of this programme will obtain two separate degree certificates that will be awarded by UCSI University and HTMi Switzerland – one of the world’s leading hospitality schools.
The assessment includes a combination of examinations, projects and assignments, and finally a requirement to complete a dissertation in Independent Project in the final year. Students will acquire up-to-date vocational skills that are relevant and competitive. This reflects the complex and challenging nature of the accounting, finance and business realms.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language RequirementsFor Local Students (Diploma and Degree)
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum grade of B+ in SPM English Language; or a minimum grade of C in SPM English Language 1119/O-Level English/IGCSE; or a minimum grade of A2 in UEC English language; or minimum Band 3 of MUET.
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum Band 3 of MUET (Malaysian University English Test); or a minimum band score of 5.0 in IELTS (5.5 band score for BA (Hons) Commerce programme); or a minimum score of 42 in TOEFL IBT; or a minimum score of 47 in PTE (Pearson Test of English); or a minimum score of 154 in Cambridge English Qualifications and Test.
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00920) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and / or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking the additional English proficiency courses.
- Introduction to Accounting
- Fundamentals of Hospitality and Tourism Industry
- Introduction to Management and Organisation Theory
- Business Communication
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service
- Cross Cultural Studies
- Introduction to the Events Industry
- Hospitality and Tourism Human Resource Management
- Hospitality and Tourism Law
- Hospitality and Tourism Economics
- Introduction to Foreign Languages in Hospitality Industry (Japanese, German, Mandarin, Korean, or French)
Elective (Choose One)
- Planning and Management of Events
- Tour and Travel Operations
- Special Interest Tourism
- Visitor Attraction Management
- Event Operations Management
- Business Event Management
- Destination Marketing
- Co-operative Placement 1
- Hospitality and Tourism Management Accounting
- Hospitality Revenue Management
Elective (Choose One)
- Business Research Method
- Tourism Planning, Development and Management
- Tourism and Business of Hotels
- Independent Project A
- Leadership and Business Performance
- Business Event Operations
- Event Marketing
- Hospitality and Tourism Strategic Management
- Event Risk Management
- Independent Project B
- Malaysian Ethnic Food (MPU 3)
- Co-operative Placement 2
- Casino, Club and Resort Management
- Convention Sales, Services and Operations
Elective (Choose One)
General Courses (MPU) are compulsory for all students.
- Ethnic Relations
- Islamic Civilisation and Asian Civilisation
- Malaysian Studies
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 3
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.
Career opportunities are wide and varied for graduates from this discipline. Students may expect to be employed by:
- Travel Agency Manager
- Tour Operator
- Cruise Manager
- Theme Park Manager
- Tourism Project Manager
- Recreation Manager
- Event Manager
- Convention Centre Manager
- Entertainment Specialist
- Banquet Manager