|Approval Code||R/811/4/0326; 09/2021|
|Subject Area||Culinary Arts|
|Course Duration||2.5 Years|
|Intakes||January, May and September|
UCSI University’s Diploma in Culinary Arts is a practical course underpinned by a strong theoretical base. Apart from providing a pathway towards higher education, this course does not only provide students with hands-on training – in culinary arts and the food service sector – but also focuses on equipping students with the fundamental skills for supervisory and management level positions in both local and global food service and culinary arts industries.
Coursework percentage and written examination percentage. This programme provides students with relevant, interesting, stimulating and practical experience via a variety of teaching and practical techniques. Different dynamic learning processes are employed in the delivery of this programme, such as lectures, tutorials, team-based project, real life system development, presentations and independent projects supervised by supervisors from university lecturers or industry experts. The work-based learning is very much practical oriented.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language RequirementsFor Local Students (Diploma and Degree)
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum grade of B+ in SPM English Language; or a minimum grade of C in SPM English Language 1119/O-Level English/IGCSE; or a minimum grade of A2 in UEC English language; or minimum Band 3 of MUET.
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum Band 2 of MUET (Malaysian University English Test); or a minimum band score of 4.0 in IELTS; or a minimum score of 30-31 in TOEFL IBT; or a minimum score of 36 in PTE (Pearson Test of English); or a minimum score of 140 in Cambridge English Qualifications and Test.
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00920) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and / or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking the additional English proficiency courses.
Students may expect to be employed by:
- Executive Chef
- Sous Chef
- Kitchen Manager
- Food Service Consultant
- Food Writer / Critic
- Catering Business Entrepreneur
- Restaurant Owner
- Personal Chef
- Celebrity Chef
- Culinary Lecturer
- Research & Development Chef
- Culinary Essentials
- Sanitation, Safety & Hygiene
- Hospitality and Tourism Communication
- Introduction to Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- Food & Beverage Services
- Extra–curricular Learning Experience 1 (MPU-U4)
- Pastry and Bakery
- Nutrition in Food Service Industry
- Food and Beverage Management
- Introduction to Accounting
- Introduction to Foreign Languages in Hospitality
- Basic Korean Cuisine
- Industry Placement I
- Study Skills and Employability (MPU-U2)
- Introduction to Management
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Malaysian Cuisine
- Food and Beverage Cost Control
- Catering Management
- Extra-curricular Learning Experience II (MPU-U4)
- Industry Placement 2
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Hospitality and Tourism Law
- Malaysian Ecotourism (MPU-U3)
- Garde Manger and Culinary Artistry/ Intermediate Korean Cuisine
- International Cuisine/ Advance Korean Cuisine
General Courses (MPU) are compulsory for all students.
- Malaysian Studies
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 2
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.