In UCSI's Diploma in Hotel Management, students will study multidiscipline-knowledge and skills required for modern management in the global hospitality industry. It covers a wide range of duties from front office and housekeeping, to Food and Beverage management, to supervision of relations between staff and guests, as well as back office administration (marketing, human resources and accounting skills).
Coursework percentage and written examination percentage. This programme provides students with relevant, interesting, stimulating and practical experience via a variety of teaching and practical techniques. Different dynamic learning processes are employed in the delivery of this programme, such as lectures, tutorials, team-based project, real life system development, presentations and independent projects supervised by supervisors from university lecturers or industry experts. The work-based learning is very much practical oriented.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language RequirementsFor Local Students (Diploma and Degree)
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum grade of B+ in SPM English Language; or a minimum grade of C in SPM English Language 1119/O-Level English/IGCSE; or a minimum grade of A2 in UEC English language; or minimum Band 3 of MUET.
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum Band 2 of MUET (Malaysian University English Test); or a minimum band score of 4.0 in IELTS; or a minimum score of 30-31 in TOEFL IBT; or a minimum score of 36 in PTE (Pearson Test of English); or a minimum score of 140 in Cambridge English Qualifications and Test.
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00920) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and / or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking the additional English proficiency courses.
- Culinary Essentials
- Sanitation, Safety and Hygiene
- Customer Service
- Introduction to Tourism and Hospitality Industry
- Food and Beverage Service
- Housekeeping Operation and Management
- Hospitality and Tourism Communication
- Front Office Operation and Management
- Industry Placement I
- Pastry and Bakery
- Introduction to Accounting
- Introduction to Management
- Food and Beverage Management
- International Cuisine
- Computing Studies
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Eco Hospitality
- Hospitality and Tourism Management Accounting
- Introduction to Foreign Languages in Hospitality
- Banquet and Events Management
- Hospitality and Tourism Law
- Hospitality and Tourism Economics
- Introduction to Foreign Languages in Hospitality Industry (Japanese, German, Mandarin, Korean, or French)
Elective (Choose One)
- Industry Placement 2
General Courses (MPU) are compulsory for all students.
- Malaysian Studies
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 2
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.
Students may expect to be employed by:
- Hotels & Motels
- Spas & Resorts
- Food Service Establishments
- Casinos & Theme Parks
- Property Management Companies
- Hospitality Consultancies
- Education Bodies