Sharpening your music skills through solo and ensemble training, our programme is suitable for students who are eager to earn an additional qualification while making and learning about music that covers from theory to technology; the various genres ranging from pop and jazz to classical music to cater to your diverse needs.
Towards the end of your diploma, all students would also have to sign off with an internship as preparation and before advancing towards real-world experiences.
Candidates may be admitted into the music programs by meeting BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Pass with at least a ‘Cʼ grade (Credit) in 3 subjects
Pass with a minimum of GPA of 2.0 (Grade C) in 1 subject
Pass with at least a ‘Bʼ grade in 3 subjects
SKM/KKM (Level 3)
Pass SPM with at least a Credit in 1 subject and ‘program pengukuhanʼ (if needed)
KKM (Level 3)
Pass with a minimum CGPA of 2.0
Pass (pangkat maqbul)
Other credentials that are equivalent as recognized by the Malaysian government
AND pass Music Audition
MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
|Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)|
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Memorisation is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
- Classical Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- Classical Voice: 3 pieces of contrasting styles in at least two different languages (e.g. German, Italian, French, English, Chinese)
- Contemporary Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (preferably contemporary styles: jazz, pop, rock, Latin, popular styles, etc.)
- String/woodwind/voice majors are required to bring along their own piano accompanist or request for one from the Institute. In this case, a fee will be charged. Contemporary music candidates may choose to use minus-one recordings to accompany their audition. Please bring your own laptop, tablet or other similar audio-playback device. The Institute will prepare a 1/8 – 1/8-inch audio connection.
- Composition majors are required to submit a portfolio of compositions and pass the audition on a major instrument
|Aural Diagnostic Test|
|Theory Diagnostic Test|
English Language Requirements for International Students
- A score of TOEFL iBT with a minimum score of 30-31 or IELTS with a minimum score of 4.0 or MUET with a minimum score of Band 2, or
- Pearson test of English with a minimum score of 36 or Cambridge English Qualification and Tests with a minimum score of 140, or
- Candidates who uses their academic requirement from institutions that uses English as the language of instruction are exempted from requirement (1)
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
SPM Credit – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
'A' Levels principal – 'A' to 'E'
Solo and Chamber Ensemble, Recording Artist, Concert Performer
Management, marketing, administration, retailing and sales.
- Choir 1-4 or Orchestra 1-4
- Recital Attendance 1-4
- Masterclass Attendance 1-4
- Theory Rudiments 1-2
- Theory Studies 1-2 or Jazz Theory Studies 1-2
- Aural Training 1-4
- Keyboard Harmony
- Music Listening Skills
- Music in Malaysia – A Survey
- Classical Music Survey or Popular Music and Jazz Survey
- Major Instrument 1-5
- Minor Instrument 1-2
- Introduction to Music Notation and Sequencing
- Introduction to Music Technology
- Performance Skills 1-2
- Chamber Music Ensemble 1-3 or
- Modern Band 1-3
General Courses (MPU) are compulsory for all students.
- Extra-curricular Learning Experience 1-2
- Professional Skills
- Malaysian Eco-Tourism
- Malaysian Studies or Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.