Sharpening your music skills through solo and ensemble training, our programme is suitable for students who are eager to earn an additional qualification while making and learning about music that covers from theory to technology; the various genres ranging from pop and jazz to classical music to cater to your diverse needs....
Towards the end of your diploma, all students would also have to sign off with an internship as preparation and before advancing towards real-world experiences.
Candidates may be admitted into the music programs by meeting BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Pass with at least a ‘Cʼ grade (Credit) in 3 subjects
Pass with a minimum of GPA of 2.0 (Grade C) in 1 subject
Pass with at least a ‘Bʼ grade in 3 subjects
SKM/KKM (Level 3)
Pass SPM with at least a Credit in 1 subject and ‘program pengukuhanʼ (if needed)
KKM (Level 3)
Pass with a minimum CGPA of 2.0
Pass (pangkat maqbul)
Other equivalent qualification recognised by the Malaysian government
AND, pass Music Audition
Music Audition Requirements
Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Memorization is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
- Classical Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- Classical Voice: 3 pieces of contrasting styles in at least two different languages (e.g. German, Italian, French, English, Chinese)
- Contemporary Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (preferably contemporary styles: jazz, pop, rock, Latin, popular styles, etc.)
- String/woodwind/voice majors are required to bring along their own piano accompanist or request for one from the Institute. In this case, a fee will be charged. Contemporary music candidates may choose to use minus-one recordings to accompany their audition. Please bring your own laptop, tablet or other similar audio-playback device. The Institute will prepare a 1/8 – 1/8-inch audio connection.
- Composition majors are required to submit a portfolio of compositions and pass the audition on a major instrument
Aural Diagnostic Test
- Repeat a melody and a rhythmic phrase from memory.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
Theory Diagnostic Test
- Topics include intervals, scales & key signatures.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.SPM Credits – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level Credits – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credits – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language Requirements
For Local Students
CEFRB1 (with at least 2 skill at B1)
SPM EnglishGrade B+
UEC English LanguageGrade A2
SPM English Language 1119/O-Level/IGCSEGrade C
Cambridge English Qualification Test / Linguaskill140
- Noted: Candidates who scored lower than above requirement will have to take the SE004 Basic English subject before taking the SE005 English Foundation subject in the foundation year.
For International Students
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests 140
(B1 Preliminary, B2 First, C1 Advanced C2 Proficiency, Linguaskill Online)
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests 200
TOEFL ESSENTIALS (ONLINE)5.0
PTE Academic / Academic (online)36
- Applicants who have an academic qualification from a higher learning institution which uses the English Language as a medium of instruction may be granted an exemption from the University English Language requirements.
- The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking the additional English proficiency courses.
- Choir 1-4 or Orchestra 1-4
- Recital Attendance 1-4
- Masterclass Attendance 1-4
- Theory Rudiments 1-2
- Theory Studies 1-2 or Jazz Theory Studies 1-2
- Aural Training 1-4
- Keyboard Harmony
- Music Listening Skills
- Music in Malaysia – A Survey
- Classical Music Survey or Popular Music and Jazz Survey
- Major Instrument 1-5
- Minor Instrument 1-2
- Introduction to Music Notation and Sequencing
- Introduction to Music Technology
- Performance Skills 1-2
- Chamber Music Ensemble 1-3 or Modern Band 1-3
- Malaysian Studies or Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2
(Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 2)
- Malaysian Eco-Tourism
- Professional Skills
- Extra-Curricular Learning Experience 1-2