Future musicians can choose between classical and contemporary specialisations from the start and many credits the Institute for exposing them early to the industry. As a Foundation student, you will enjoy full access to and be encouraged to participate in the Institute's many events ...on and off campus. Opportunities abound to showcase your talent and many Foundation students make a name for themselves when they are still in pre-university!
AssessmentsVary from course to course including:
- Written exams.
- Practical performance.
- Recital / master class attendance.
- Project-based coursework.
Candidates may be admitted into the music programs by meeting BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Pass with a minimum of 5 credits
At least C grade in 5 subjects
At least B grade in 3 subjects
Other equivalent qualification recognised by the Malaysian government
AND, pass Music Audition
Music Audition Requirements
Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Memorization is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
- Classical Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- Classical Voice: 3 pieces of contrasting styles in at least two different languages (e.g. German, Italian, French, English, Chinese)
- Contemporary Music: 3 pieces of contrasting styles (preferably contemporary styles: jazz, pop, rock, Latin, popular styles, etc.)
- String/woodwind/voice majors are required to bring along their own piano accompanist or request for one from the Institute. In this case, a fee will be charged. Contemporary music candidates may choose to use minus-one recordings to accompany their audition. Please bring your own laptop, tablet or other similar audio-playback device. The Institute will prepare a 1/8 – 1/8-inch audio connection.
- Composition majors are required to submit a portfolio of compositions and pass the audition on a major instrument
Aural Diagnostic Test
- Repeat a melody and a rhythmic phrase from memory.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
Theory Diagnostic Test
- Topics include intervals, scales & key signatures.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.SPM Credits – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level Credits – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credits – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language Requirements
For Local Students
SPM EnglishGrade B+
UEC English LanguageGrade A2
SPM English Language 1119/O-Level/IGCSEGrade C
Cambridge English Qualification Test / Linguaskill140
CEFRB1 (with at least 2 skill at B1)
- Noted: Candidates who scored lower than above requirement will have to take the SE004 Basic English subject before taking the SE005 English Foundation subject in the foundation year.
For International Students
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests 140
(B1 Preliminary, B2 First, C1 Advanced C2 Proficiency, Linguaskill Online)
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests 200
TOEFL ESSENTIALS (ONLINE)5.0
PTE Academic / Academic (online)36
CEFRB1 (High B1)
- Applicants who have an academic qualification from a higher learning institution which uses the English Language as a medium of instruction may be granted an exemption from the University English Language requirements.
- Choir 1-2 or Orchestra 1-2
- Music Theory Rudiments 1-2
- Music Listening 1-2
- Aural Foundation 1-2
- Experiencing Music
- Introduction to Music Professions
- Major Instrument 1-3
- Minor Instrument 1-3
- Writing for Academic Purposes
- Office Application
- Introduction to Marketing
- Introduction to Language and Communication
- Human Communication
- Positive Psychology
- Introduction to Malaysian Studies
- Introduction to Moral Studies
- Fundamentals of Oral Communication