|Approval Code||R/212/7/0009; 08/2022|
|Subject Area||Performance Studies|
|Course Mode||Full-time and part-time|
|Course Duration||16 months to 3 years|
|Course Location||Kuala Lumpur|
|Intakes||January, May and September|
The Master of Music (Performance Studies) programme, with a classical music focus, is designed to cater to the changing needs of musicians today. It has a strong emphasis on performance and yet, allows students to acquire a secondary specialisation in areas of teaching, research, or community music.
Candidates may be admitted into the music programs by meeting BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field with minimum CGPA 2.5
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent not meeting CGPA 2.5, but with minimum 5 years working experience in the relevant field
- Other equivalent qualification recognised by the Malaysian government
- Passed the music audition/ interview
MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
|Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)|
|Theory Diagnostic Test|
|Music History Diagnostic Test|
**Students who do not perform well in the placement exams may be required to take remedial courses in music history and/or theory. Credits earned in these remedial courses will not count towards graduation.
English Language Requirements
Candidates are required to have a minimum of one of the following if their first degree was not in English:
- TOEFL iBT: A minimum score of 42
- IELTS: A minimum score of 5.0
- MUET: A minimum score of Band 3
- Pearson test of English: A minimum score of 47
If English is the medium of instruction from previous institution, supporting document is required.
The courses will open career opportunities for instrumental teaching and performance, and enhance musical skills, knowledge and understanding to a level appropriate for undergraduate music teaching at college and university.
- Principal Study 1-4
- Research Project
- Music Research Methods
- Performance Practice Seminar
- Pedagogy Seminar
- Repertoire Studies 1-3
- Music and Law
- Advanced Tonal Analysis
- Orchestral Excerpts for Strings
- Teaching Practicum
- Community Music
- Music in Southeast Asia
- Seminar in Musicology 1-3
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.