1. European Commission Grant 2023. Traditional Martial Arts for All (TMA4ALL) RM426,000 for Research. 101133802. Co-researcher. Professor Richard Bailey (PI). Partners are with institutions in Ireland, University of Cyprus (Coordinator), Spain, Germany, Croatia, Greece and Spain.
2. Asia Pacific Economic Corporation (APEC) Grant. APEC Sustainability & Environmental Education for Post Disaster. APEC SEE-PD2023. USD65,000. Co-researcher. Professor Mansor (PI)
3. UCSI Research Excellence & Innovation Grant 2023. Investigating University Lecturers' Lived Experiences of ChatGPT Use for Academic Purposes. PI. RM24, 350.00.
4. FRGS Grant. FRGS (FRGS-1-2022-SSI07-UCSI-01-1)
Title: Developing and Validating a New Model of Preventive Intervention Modules on Bullying and Cyberbullying for Secondary School Students: An Intervention Mapping Approach
PI: Prof Dr Chan Nee Nee, UCSI University
AP Ho Meng Chuan, UCSI University
Assoc Prof Dr Ani Munirah Binti Mohamad, Universiti Utara Malaysia
Assoc Prof Dr. Ooi Pei Boon, Sunway University
Prof Dr Herbert Scheithauer, Free University of Berlin (Freie Universität Berlin)
Dr. Mohd Ikhram Mohd Ridzuan, Universiti Malaysia Sabah
5. FRGS Grant. FRGS (FRGS-1-2022)
Title: The Development of a Framework for Malaysian Heritage Cuisine Education in Tertiary Learning Institutions in Malaysia
Co-investigators: Prof Dr Chan Nee Nee, UCSI University
6. FRGS Grant. FRGS/1/2020/SS0/SYUC/02/2.
Title: A fundamental study on cyberbullying of visually impaired youth: Prevalence and its associated factors. Associate Prof. Dr. Ooi Pei Boon (PI, Sunway University)
Prof. Herbert Scheithauer, Free University of Berlin;
Prof. Chan Nee Nee, Quest International University/UCSI University;
Associate Prof. Wanmarzuki Wanjaafar, UPM;
Associate Prof. Choo Wou Onn, INTI International University;
Priyadharshini, Sunway University.
7. Sunway Medical Centre Grant July 2021- Dec 2022. Reducing Vaccine Hesitancy (VH) And Vaccine Refusal (VR): An Educational Intervention Programme.
Dr Seow Vei Ken (Sunway Medical Centre)
Dr Ooi Pei Boon (Sunway University)
Co-Investigator, with Sunway University, UCSI, UTAR.
8. Factors Affecting Kindergarten Teachers’ Digital Competence and their Pivot towards Remote Learning during a Pandemic
Research Grant Code: QIU/CRI/IRGS_NST/
Principal Investigator -Co Researcher
July 2021- June 2022 RM5300
9. Investigating Primary School Teachers’ Acceptance, Readiness and Resilience towards Online Teaching and Learning during a Pandemic.
Research Grant Code: QIU/CRI/IRGS_NST/FSS/2021(02)
Principal Investigator – Co researcher
July 2021- June 2022 RM5430
10. Title: 2020 A Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) psychoeducational intervention program as a tool to increase quality of life among patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD), Sunway University (Grant for RM23,000).
11. Title: 2018 A Nationwide Study-Youth Online Safety and Cyberbullying Prevention Programme in Malaysia (FRGS Grant for RM227,851.32, Submitted)
Role: Member, Dr Ooi P.B (PI), with Free University, Berlin, Technical University, Berlin & DIGI
12. Title: Online Safety and Youth Exposure to Cyberbullying in Malaysia, 2018 (Grant for RM26,800).
Co-investigator with PI (Dr Ooi Pei Boon) and 5 Co-investigators including Professor Dr. Herbert Scheithauer (Free University of Berlin) and Dr Anja Schultz-Krumbholz (Technical University, Berlin). Industry Partner: Mr Philip Ling, DIGI.com (RM10,000).
13. Title: Investigating Intercultural Competence and Internet Memes, 2018 (Grant for RM13,878)
Principal Investigator with 2 Co-PIs ( Asso. Prof. Dr Sean McCusker, Northumbria University, Dr Natasa Lackhovic, Lancaster University) and 3 Co-Investigators.
Sun, J., Motevalli, S., & Chan, N. N. (2022). A Systematic Review Of The EFL Writing Module Development And Implementation. Journal of Positive School Psychology, 6(11), 675-693.
Latif, A. A. L., Lee, K. W., Phang, K., Rashid, A. A., Chan, N. N., Peh, S. C., ... & Ooi, P. B. (2022). Patient-related factors associated with medication adherence behavior in patients with end-stage renal disease: A systematic review. Tzu Chi Medical Journal, 34(4), 473-484.
Lee, K. W., Gew, L. T., Siau, C. S., Peh, S. C., Chia, Y. C., Yacob, S., ... & Ooi, P. B. (2022). COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy and its associated factors in Malaysia. Plos one, 17(9), e0266925.
Chan, N.N., Ong, K.W., Siau, C.S. et al. (2022).The lived experiences of a COVID-19 immunization programme: vaccine hesitancy and vaccine refusal. BMC Public Health 22, 296. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-022-12632-z https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-022-12632-z
Ooi, P. B., Ong, D. L. T., Peh, S. C., Fairus, S. F., Paramanathan, S. A., Lee, A. S. H., & Chan, N. N. (2021). Active Aging, Psychological Wellbeing and Quality of Life of Elderly and Pre-Elderly Malaysians during Movement Control Periods, Educational Gerontology, 10.1080/03601277.2021.1983295. Published online: 29 Sep 2021
Ooi, P.B., Wan Jaafar, W., Ang, C.S. & Chan, N.N. (2020) Psychometric Properties of the Sources of Counselling Self-Efficacy in a Sample of Malaysian Secondary School Counsellors. SAGE Open. SAGE Open. January-March 2020: pp. 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1177%2F2158244020902076. (Indexed with Scopus, Impact factor: 0.675).
Chan, N. N., Ahrumugam, P., Scheithauer, H., Schultze-Krumbholz, A., & Ooi, P. B. (2020). A hermeneutic phenomenological study of students' and school counsellors' “lived experiences” of cyberbullying and bullying. Computers & Education, 146, 103755. (Indexed with Scopus, Impact factor: 5.627).
Ang, C.S., Chan, N.N., & Singh, L. (2019). A comparison study of meat eaters and non-meat eaters on mind attribution and moral disengagement of animal. Appetite. 136, pp. 80-85. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2019.01.019. (Indexed with Scopus, Impact factor: 3.501).
Teh, P.B., Ooi, P.B., Chan, N.N., & Chuah, Y. K. 2018. A Comparative Study of the Effectiveness of Sentiment Tools and Human Coding in Sarcasm Detection. Journal of Systems and Information Technology. 20 (3), pp.358-374, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1108/JSIT-12-2017-0120 (Indexed with Scopus, CiteScore: 1.19).
Ang, S.C., Chan, N.N. & Lee, C.-S. 2018. Shyness, Loneliness Avoidance, and Internet Addiction: What are the Relationships? Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied. 152 (1), pp.25-35. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/00223980.2017.1399854. (Indexed with Scopus, Impact factor: 1.642).
Chan, N.N. & Ang, S.C. 2017. Investigating the use of mobile applications in everyday language learning. International Journal of Mobile Learning & Organisation. 11(4), pp. 378-394. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMLO.2017.087088 (Indexed with Scopus, RG Impact Factor: 1.17, SJR: 0.64).
Ang, C.S. & Chan, N.N. 2016. Adolescents' views on celebrity worship: a qualitative study. Current Psychology, pp. 1-10. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s12144-016-9497-0 (Indexed with Scopus, Impact Factor: 0.953).
Chan N.N., Phan .C.W., Salihan, N.H. & Dipolog-Ubanan, G.W, 2016. Peer-Assisted Learning: Roles, Perceptions and Efficacy. PERTANIKA Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities (JSSH), 24 (4), pp. 1811-1822. (Indexed with Scopus).
Chan.N.N., Gleaves, A. & Walker, C. 2015. An exploration of students' lived experiences of using smartphones in diverse learning contexts using a hermeneutic phenomenological approach, Computers and Education, 82, p.96-106 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2014.11.001. (Indexed with Scopus, Impact Factor: 4.538).
Market Research on project basis for Insight Research (Malaysia) on projects with clients like British Council, CIMA, and Leeds University, 2010-2012.
- Chan, N.N., 2012. Informal Learning with Smartphones: A Study of the Google Generation’s Use of Smartphones in Malaysia. School of Education, Durham University Postgraduate Seminar, May 15.
- Chan, N.N., 2012. Learning Anytime, Anywhere, Ustinov Seminar, Durham University, 24 November.
- Chan, N.N., 2012. Learning with Smartphones. 11th School of Education Research Conference, University of Birmingham, 1 December.
- Chan, N.N., Walker-Gleaves, A., & Remedios, R., 2013. Learning with Smartphones: Students’ Lived Experience of Using Smartphones. In Conference Proceedings: IADIS International Conference of Mobile Learning 2013, Lisbon, Portugal. 14-16 March, pp.163-167
- Chan, N.N., Walker-Gleaves, A., & Remedios, R., 2013. Ubiquitous Learning: The Lived Experience of Students Learning with Smartphones. In Conference Proceedings: MIT LINC 2013 June 16 – 19, 2013, MIT, Cambridge Massachusetts USA. Available online at: http://linc.mit.edu/linc2013/proceedings/Session2/Session2Chan.pdf
- Chan, N.N., 2014. Youths’ Perceptions of Learning with Smartphones: Me, Myself and Others. In Conference Proceedings : EDULEARN14 (6th International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies) 7-9 July 2014, Barcelona, Spain. http://library.iated.org/view/CHAN2014YOU. Pg. 2965-2974 ISBN: 978-84-617-0557-3 ISSN: 2340-1117.
- Chan, N.N., 2015. Learning Languages in Everyday Lives: Youths’ Use of Mobile Language Learning Applications. IAFOR European Conference on Education, Brighton 1-5 July.
- Chan, N.N., 2016. An Investigation into Everyday Language Learning Using Mobile Applications. In Conference Proceedings: MIT LINC 2016 May 23 – 25, 2016, MIT, Cambridge Massachusetts USA.
- Chan, N.N., 2017. Learning with smart devices: an investigation into influences and the relevance of teachers. 11th International Technology, Education and Development Conference Valencia, Spain. 6-8 March, 2017. IATED: pp.8386-8394. SBN: 978-84-617-8491-2 / ISSN: 2340-107.
- Ooi, P.B., Chan N.N., Teh, P.L. & Ahrumugam, P. (2017) The face to face and internet- based cyberbullying intervention program from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy approach. ISRII 9th Scientific Meeting, 12-14 October, Berlin, Germany.
- Chan, N.N. (2019). Keynote Address: Attaining Multidisciplinary Research Skills: Value, Benefits, and Travails of the Journey. International Scholars Conference, Universiti Utara Malaysia (ISCUUM 2019), 26-28 June.
- Chan, N.N., Gogilavaani, J. V., & A. Faindra A. J. (2019). Experiential Learning and the Google Generation. InFORM Conference 2019, University of Reading, Malaysia, 29 June.
- Ooi, P. B., Ahrumugam, P., Teh, P. L., & Chan, N. N. (2022). Factors Associated with Adolescent Cyberbullying Perpetration and Victimization in Malaysia. In Proceedings. MDPI.
- Ku, W. L., Ooi, P. B., & Chan, N. N. (2022). Pilot Study on Cyberbullying among Visually Impaired Youths. In Proceedings. MDPI.
a.Moderator of International panel of eminent speakers on the topic: Transnational Education: Overcoming the Challenges of the Pandemic, organised by the University of Nottingham, Malaysia. 15.7.21
b.Reviewer, Computers & Education Journal, 2020; 2021
c.Reviewer, Language & Communication Journal, 2021
d.Reviewer, International Journal of Bullying Prevention, 2020
e.Reviewer, International Journal of Mental Health & Addiction, 2020
f.Reviewer, International Communication Association 2018 Prague Conference
g.Reviewer, Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, 2017.
h.Senior Reviewer, European Conference on Education, Brighton 2015, IAFOR;
i.Publication Review Panel, Global Access to Postsecondary Education, Kuala Lumpur 2015
a.Pertanika Journal of Science & Technology (JST); UPM (2016);
b.Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities (JSSH), UPM (2016);
c.International Journal of Innovation and Learning (IJIL) (2016-7).
- Organising Chairperson, Special Education: Moving Beyond Boundaries, 2021, 4-5 December. International Conference.
- Programme Committee, Global Higher Education Policy and Internationalisation (Centre for the Study of Higher Education, Sunway University in collaboration with University of Melbourne and USM, November 9, 2017.
- Chairperson, Organizing Committee, International Conference on Innovations, Shifts & Challenges (ICISC) 2015, KL, 19-21 November;
- Local Organizing Group, European Access Network World Congress, GAPS Conference 2015, Sunway University, KL.
Speaking at Conferences
a.Chan, N.N. (2019). Attaining Multidisciplinary Research Skills: Value, Benefit and Travails of the Journey. International Scholars Conference, Universiti Utara Malaysia (ISCUUM), 26-28 June, 2019. Keynote Address.
b.Pre-Conference Workshop of the International Conference on Innovations, Shifts & Challenges 2015, KL: Digital Natives And Digital Immigrants: An Examination Of The Digital Native Debate;
c.Smartphone Learning in Strategic Partnership between Formal and Non-formal Education in addressing the issue of Science Education', 30 October 2014, UKM. Chan, N.N. (2019). Attaining Multidisciplinary Research Skills: Value, Benefit and Travails of the Journey. International Scholars Conference, Universiti Utara Malaysia (ISCUUM), 26-28 June, 2019. Keynote Address.
d.Pre-Conference Workshop of the International Conference on Innovations, Shifts & Challenges 2015, KL: Digital Natives And Digital Immigrants: An Examination Of The Digital Native Debate; Smartphone Learning in Strategic Partnership between Formal and Non-formal Education in addressing the issue of Science Education', 30 October 2014, UKM
Consultant, International Institute of Public Policy and Management (INPUMA), Universiti Malaya. MoE awarded project on Review of Internationalisation Policy in Higher Educational Institutions in Malaysia. Grant of RM569,514.90. From 1 September 2019 to 29 February 2020.
- English Language Training for Teachers: 3
- St Michael’s Institution, Ipoh
- Tanjong Katong Secondary School, Singapore
- ACS, Sitiawan, Malaysia (14.5-15.5.16)
Food Cycle (Durham, UK), Books for Amnesty (Newcastle, UK), Hope Penang, Perak Orang Asli Project