The Bachelor of Music (Hons.) programme is intended for those who wish to pursue classical music studies to an advanced level and has the advantage of a very broad based curriculum without compromising the possibility of increasing the specialisation in one or more areas. Performance and performance-related studies are especially prominent but other areas such as history, analysis and stylistic composition are also included.
This blend of practical work and academic enquiry will produce graduates equipped with a raft of skills and knowledge that will be of value to many employers and enable them to pursue careers not only as performers and teachers, but also as administrators and managers within the wider music industry and beyond.
Vary from course to course including:
- Written exams.
- Practical performance.
- Recital / master class attendance.
- Project-based coursework.
Candidates may be admitted into the music degree programs by one of these 2 paths:
A. Complete and pass all courses with a minimum of Grade C in the Foundation in Music program at UCSI University,
B. Meet BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
At least 2 principal passes with minimum CGPA of 2.0
2 principal passes
At least B grade in 5 subjects
UCSI Foundation Year / Foundation programs from other higher learning institutions / National Matriculation/ Pre-U2 Singapore/ Diploma (Level 4 KKM)
Pass with minimum CGPA of 2.0
High/Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12) / Canadian Grade 12 – title following various districts in Canada / Canadian Pre-University (CPU) / Canadian International Matriculation (CIMP)/ SAM / AUSMAT / SACE / TEE / HSC (NSW) / NTCE / WACE
Pass with a minimum of 60%
Or, other qualifications deemed equivalent to STPM/A-Level by Malaysian Qualifications Agency
Passed the music audition
MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
|Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)|
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Memorization is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
- 3 pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- Classical Voice: 3 pieces of contrasting styles in at least two different languages (e.g. German, Italian, French, English, Chinese)
- String/woodwind/voice majors are required to bring along their own piano accompanist or request for one from the Institute. In this case, a fee will be charged. Contemporary music candidates may choose to use minus-one recordings to accompany their audition. Please bring your own laptop, tablet or other similar audio-playback device. The Institute will prepare a 1/8 – 1/8-inch audio connection.
- Composition majors are required to submit a portfolio of compositions and pass the audition on a major instrument
|Aural Diagnostic Test|
|Theory Diagnostic Test|
- Topics include intervals; scales and key signatures; triads & 7th chords and its inversions; roman numeral or lead sheet symbols analysis; time signatures, grouping of notes & rests and cadences.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
For international candidates: Candidate is given the provision to do a live audition for admissions. For more information, please check with your course counsellor/agent.
- A score of 500 in Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 5.0 in International Language Testing System (IELTS) or MUET Band 3 or its equivalent
- Candidates from countries that use English as first language are given exemption from requirement (1); or
- Candidates who uses their academic requirement from institutions that uses English as the language of instruction are exempted from requirement (1)
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
SPM Credit – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
'A' Levels principal – 'A' to 'E'
|Performing||Soloist, accompanist, orchestral / chamber musician.|
|Teaching||Private, music institutions / centres.|
|Composing / arranging||Publishing, production, recording, advertising.|
- Choir 1-6 OR Orchestra 1-6
- Chamber Music Ensemble 1-4
- Recital Attendance 1-6
- Masterclass Attendance 1-6
- Music Theory 1-4
- Aural Skills 1-4
- Introduction to Music History
- Malaysian Music
- Music History 1-2
- Music Research Methodology
- Music and Modernism
- Notation Software and MIDI
- Music Technology 1
- Conducting Skills
- Keyboard Skills
- Major Instrument 1-4
- Final Year Performance 1-2 OR Final Year Research Project 1-2
- University Reading and Writing
Students are required to complete 19 credit hours from the selection.
- English Diction
- French Diction
- German Diction
- Italian Diction
- Introduction to Popular Music History
- World Music
- Music and Film
- Baroque Techniques
- Classical Workshop
- Innovation Workshop
- Piano Pedagogy 1 - 2
- Vocal Pedagogy
- Opera Workshop
- Introduction to Kodaly Method
- Piano Literature 1-2
- Vocal Literature 1
- Performance Practices
- Music Industry in Malaysia
- Minor Instrument 1-4
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- Introduction to Psychology 1-2
- Introduction to Sociology
General Courses (MPU) are compulsory for all students.
– For Malaysian students:
- Ethnic Relations
- Islamic Civilisation and Asian Civilisation
– For foreign students:
- Malaysian Studies
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 3
– University life
– Malaysian Experiential Tourism
– Extra-curricular Learning Experience 1 to 3
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.