As a classical music student at the Institute, you will enjoy a dynamic and engaging student life. You will benefit immensely from the tutelage of acclaimed academics and performers. You will also have access to renowned musicians who visit the Institute. Additionally, you will step into a huge reservoir of talent and your peers will impact you profoundly.
* This programme received a 100% graduate employability score in the Ministry of Higher Education’s Graduate Employability 2020. (Source: ge.mohe.gov.my/)
AssessmentsVary from course to course including:
- Written exams.
- Practical performance.
- Recital / master class attendance.
- Project-based coursework.
Candidates may be admitted into the music degree programs by one of these 2 paths:
A. Complete and pass all courses with a minimum of Grade C in the Foundation in Music program at UCSI University,
B. Meet BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
At least 2 principal passes with minimum CGPA of 2.0
2 principal passes
At least B grade in 5 subjects
UCSI Foundation Year / Foundation programs from other higher learning institutions / National Matriculation / Pre-U2 Singapore / Diploma (Level 4 KKM)
Pass with minimum CGPA of 2.0
High/Secondary School Diploma (Grade 12) / Canadian Grade 12 – title following various districts in Canada / Canadian Pre-University (CPU) / Canadian International Matriculation (CIMP)/ SAM / AUSMAT / SACE / TEE / HSC (NSW) / NTCE / WACE
Pass with a minimum of 60%
OR, Other equivalent qualification recognised by the Malaysian government
AND, Passed the music audition
Music Audition Requirements
Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)
- Duration: 15 minutes
- Memorization is strongly encouraged for scholarship application
- 3 pieces of contrasting styles (e.g. Baroque, Classical, Romantic or Modern)
- Classical Voice: 3 pieces of contrasting styles in at least two different languages (e.g. German, Italian, French, English, Chinese)
- String/woodwind/voice majors are required to bring along their own piano accompanist or request for one from the Institute. In this case, a fee will be charged. Contemporary music candidates may choose to use minus-one recordings to accompany their audition. Please bring your own laptop, tablet or other similar audio-playback device. The Institute will prepare a 1/8 – 1/8-inch audio connection.
- Composition majors are required to submit a portfolio of compositions and pass the audition on a major instrument
Aural Diagnostic Test
- Sight singing; repeating a rhythmic phrase from memory; singing in intervals, scale & trials.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
Theory Diagnostic Test
- Topics include intervals; scales and key signatures; triads & 7th chords and its inversions; roman numeral or lead sheet symbols analysis; time signatures, grouping of notes & rests and cadences.
Sample Questions (Click Here)
For international candidates: Candidate is given the provision to do a live audition for admissions. For more information, please check with your course counsellor/agent.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.SPM Credits – 'A+' to 'C'
O-Level Credits – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credits – 'A1' to 'B6'
STPM principal – 'A' to 'C'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language Requirements
For Local Students
SPM English LanguageGrade B+
SPM English Language 1119/O-Level/IGCSEGrade C
UEC English LanguageGrade A2
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
For International Students
Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests154
TOEFL IBT42 (500 in PBT)
Pearson Test of English47
- Candidates from countries that use English as first language and candidates who uses their academic requirement from institutions that uses English as the language of instruction are given exemption from the requirements.
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00920) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and / or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking the additional English proficiency courses.
- Choir/Concert Choir 1-6
- Orchestra 1-6
- Collaborative Piano 1-2
- Chamber Music Ensemble 1-2
- Recital Attendance 1-5
- Masterclass Attendance 1-5
- Music Theory 1-3
- Materials and Techniques of Twentieth Century Music
- Aural Skills 1-3
- Music History 1-2
- History Seminar
- Writing in Music
- Music Research Methodology
- Introduction to Music Technology
- Live Sound
- Principles of Teaching
- Major Instrument 1-4
- Short Semester Major Instrument
- Final Year Performance 1-2 / Final Year Research Project 1-2
- Minor Instrument 1-2
- Class Piano 1-2
- Music Industry in Malaysia
- English Diction
- Italian Diction
- French Diction
- German Diction
- Conducting Skills
- Keyboard Skills
- Vocal Pedagogy
- Vocal Literature 1-2
- Opera Workshop
- Piano Pedagogy 1-2
- Piano Literature 1-2
- Performance Practices
- Kodály Method 1-2
- World Music
- Rock Music History
- Jazz Music History
- Music and Film
- Song Writing
- Jingle Writing
- Introduction to Jazz Improvisation
- Music Production Techniques
- Film Scoring
- Minor Instrument 3-4
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- Introduction to Psychology 1