|Approval Code||R2/212/6/0019; 03/2024|
|Accreditation Code||A 9725|
|Course Mode||Full Time|
|Course Duration||3 years|
|Course Location||Kuala Lumpur|
|Intakes||January, May and September|
The Bachelor of Music (Hons.) programme is intended for those who wish to pursue classical music studies to an advanced level and has the advantage of a very broad based curriculum without compromising the possibility of increasing the specialisation in one or more areas. Performance and performance-related studies are especially prominent but other areas such as history, analysis and stylistic composition are also included.
This blend of practical work and academic enquiry will produce graduates equipped with a raft of skills and knowledge that will be of value to many employers and enable them to pursue careers not only as performers and teachers, but also as administrators and managers within the wider music industry and beyond.
Vary from course to course including:
- Written exams.
- Practical performance.
- Recital / master class attendance.
- Project-based coursework.
Candidates may be admitted into the music degree programs by one of these 2 paths:
A. Complete and pass all courses with a minimum of Grade C in the Foundation in Music program at UCSI University,
B. Meet BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Passed the music audition
MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
|Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)|
|Aural Diagnostic Test|
|Theory Diagnostic Test|
For international candidates: Candidate is given the provision to do a live audition for admissions. For more information, please check with your course counsellor/agent.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language RequirementsFor Local Students (Diploma and Degree)
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum grade of B+ in SPM English Language; or a minimum grade of C in SPM English Language 1119/O-Level English/IGCSE; or a minimum grade of A2 in UEC English language; or minimum Band 3 of MUET.
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum score of Band 3 in MUET (Malaysian University English Test); or a score of 500 in Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or a score of 5.0 in International Language Testing System (IELTS); or its equivalent.
- Candidates from countries that use English as first language and candidates who uses their academic requirement from institutions that uses English as the language of instruction are given exemption from the requirements.
- International applicants who do not meet the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement will need to improve their proficiency by enrolling into the English for Tertiary Education programme (R/KJP/00920-00920) which helps them prepare for attaining a required band score. Placement into the various levels of the English for Tertiary Education programme depends on the English Language qualification students have at the point of admission and / or the outcome of the English Placement Test.
- The applicants who have met the respective academic programme’s English Language Requirement may be advised by Faculty to improve their proficiency by undertaking the additional English proficiency courses.
|Performing||Soloist, accompanist, orchestral / chamber musician.|
|Teaching||Private, music institutions / centres.|
|Composing / arranging||Publishing, production, recording, advertising.|
- Choir 1-6 OR Orchestra 1-6
- Chamber Music Ensemble 1-4
- Recital Attendance 1-6
- Masterclass Attendance 1-6
- Music Theory 1-4
- Aural Skills 1-4
- Introduction to Music History
- Malaysian Music
- Music History 1-2
- Music Research Methodology
- Music and Modernism
- Notation Software and MIDI
- Music Technology 1
- Conducting Skills
- Keyboard Skills
- Major Instrument 1-4
- Final Year Performance 1-2 OR Final Year Research Project 1-2
- University Reading and Writing
- English Diction
- French Diction
- German Diction
- Italian Diction
- Introduction to Popular Music History
- World Music
- Music and Film
- Baroque Techniques
- Classical Workshop
- Innovation Workshop
- Piano Pedagogy 1 - 2
- Vocal Pedagogy
- Opera Workshop
- Introduction to Kodaly Method
- Piano Literature 1-2
- Vocal Literature 1
- Performance Practices
- Music Industry in Malaysia
- Minor Instrument 1-4
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- Introduction to Psychology 1-2
- Introduction to Sociology
- Ethnic Relations
- Islamic Civilisation and Asian Civilisation
- Malaysian Studies
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 3
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.