|Approval Code||R2/212/6/0018; 03/2024|
|Accreditation Code||A 9726|
|Course Duration||3 years|
|Course Location||Kuala Lumpur|
|Intakes||January, May and September|
The Bachelor of Contemporary Music (Hons) caters to the needs of those students who want a career in the popular music industry. By covering the key areas of Arranging, Technology, Performance, Recording and Music Business (but not neglecting other related studies such as contemporary music theory, ear training and composition), the programme will enable its graduates to pursue challenging and rewarding careers within the industry.
Vary from course to course including:
- Written exams.
- Practical performance.
- Recital / master class attendance.
- Project-based coursework.
Candidates may be admitted into the music degree programs by one of these 2 paths:
A. Complete and pass all courses with a minimum of Grade C in the Foundation in Music program at UCSI University,
B. Meet BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Passed the music audition
MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
|Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)|
|Aural Diagnostic Test|
|Theory Diagnostic Test|
For international candidates: Candidate is given the provision to do a live audition for admissions. For more information, please check with your course counsellor/agent.
- A score of 500 in Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 5.0 in International Language Testing System (IELTS) or MUET Band 3 or its equivalent
- Candidates from countries that use English as first language are given exemption from requirement (1); or
- Candidates who uses their academic requirement from institutions that uses English as the language of instruction are exempted from requirement (1)
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
'A' Levels principal – 'A' to 'E'
- Choir 1-6 OR Orchestra 1-6
- Modern Band 1-4
- Recital Attendance 1-6
- Masterclass Attendance 1-6
- Music Theory 1-4
- Aural Skills 1-4
- Introduction to Popular Music History
- Malaysian Music
- Popular Music History 1-2
- Music Research Methodology
- Music and Popular Culture
- Notation Software and MIDI
- Music Technology 1-2
- Music Industry in Malaysia
- Major Instrument 1-4
- Final Year Performance 1-2 OR Final Year Research Project 1-2
- University Reading and Writing
- Minor Instrument 1-4
- English Diction
- Introduction to Music History
- World Music
- Music and Film
- Composing and Arranging
- Song Writing
- Jingle Writing
- Conducting Skills
- Improvisation Skills
- Piano Pedagogy 1 & 2
- Contemporary Repertoire Studies
- Sequencing, Sampling and Synthesis
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- Introduction to Psychology 1-2
- Introduction to Sociology
- Ethnic Relations
- Islamic Civilisation and Asian Civilisation
- Malaysian Studies
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 3
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.