|Approval Code||R2/212/6/0018; 03/2024|
|Accreditation Code||A 9726|
|Course Duration||3 years|
|Course Location||Kuala Lumpur|
|Intakes||January, May and September|
The Bachelor of Contemporary Music (Hons) caters to the needs of those students who want a career in the popular music industry. By covering the key areas of Arranging, Technology, Performance, Recording and Music Business (but not neglecting other related studies such as contemporary music theory, ear training and composition), the programme will enable its graduates to pursue challenging and rewarding careers within the industry.
Vary from course to course including:
- Written exams.
- Practical performance.
- Recital / master class attendance.
- Project-based coursework.
Candidates may be admitted into the music degree programs by one of these 2 paths:
A. Complete and pass all courses with a minimum of Grade C in the Foundation in Music program at UCSI University,
B. Meet BOTH academic and music requirements below:
Candidates must meet either of the following requirements:
Passed the music audition
MUSIC AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
|Performance Audition (Auditions are conducted at least 1 month before the start of the semester)|
|Aural Diagnostic Test|
|Theory Diagnostic Test|
For international candidates: Candidate is given the provision to do a live audition for admissions. For more information, please check with your course counsellor/agent.
Note / Legend:
Discretion is given to the Head of School to deal with applicants who have results borderline to the Academic Requirements.
O-Level – 'A' to 'C'
UEC Credit – 'A1' to 'B6'
A-Level principal – 'A' to 'E'
English Language RequirementsFor Local Students
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum grade of B+ in SPM English Language; or a minimum grade of C in SPM English Language 1119/O-Level English/IGCSE; or a minimum grade of A2 in UEC English language; or minimum Band 3 of MUET.
- In the event that the English language requirements are not met, applicants will be required to take the Basic English and English Foundation for in-sessional academic enhancement concurrently with the programme.
- English language competency requirements are as follows: Minimum Band 3 of MUET; or minimum score of 5.0 in IELTS; or minimum score of 42 in TOEFL iBT (500 in PBT); or minimum score of 47 in Pearson Test of English; or minimum score of 154 in Cambridge English Qualifications and Tests.
- Applicants who have an academic qualification from a higher learning institution which uses the English Language as a medium of instruction may be granted an exemption from the University English Language requirements.
- Choir/Concert Choir 1-4
- Orchestra 1-4
- Modern Band 1-4
- Recital Attendance 1-5
- Masterclass Attendance 1-5
- Music Theory 1-3
- Aural Skills 1-3
- Malaysian Music
- Rock Music History
- Jazz Music History
- Writing in Music
- Music Research Methodology
- Music and Popular Culture
- Introduction to Music Technology
- Live Sound
- Music Production Techniques
- Principles of Teaching
- Major Instrument 1-4
- Short Semester Major Instrument
- Final Year Performance/Final Year Research Project 1-2
- Minor Instrument 1-2
- Class Piano 1-2
- Music Industry in Malaysia
- English Diction
- Italian Diction
- French Diction
- German Diction
- Materials and Techniques of Twentieth-Century Music
- Conducting Skills
- Keyboard Skills
- Vocal Pedagogy
- Vocal Literature 1-2
- Opera Workshop
- Piano Pedagogy 1-2
- Music History 1-2
- History Seminar
- Contemporary Repertoire Studies
- Sequencing, Sampling and Synthesis
- Kodály Method 1-2
- World Music
- Music and Film
- Song Writing
- Jingle Writing
- Introduction to Jazz Improvisation
- Film Scoring
- Minor Instrument 3-4
- Introduction to Mass Communication
- Introduction to Public Speaking
- Introduction to Psychology 1
- Ethnic Relations
- Islamic Civilisation and Asian Civilisation
- Malaysian Studies
- Communication in Bahasa Melayu 3
All information is correct at the time of upload and UCSI University reserves the right to make amendments without prior notice.