Research Impact:Google Scholar
Assistant Professor Dr Michelle Soo Oi Yoon
Deputy Dean | Department of Biotechnology
PhD Fish Parasitology & Molecular Biology
BSc Ecology & Biodiversity
Areas of Interest
Environmental Biotechnology (Bioremediation)
- Name of grant: FRGS
Project Title: Interaction of Acinetobactor venetianus and Cycloclasticus pugetii with acetylated Kapok cotton fibres and their ability to degrade crude oil.
Duration: 2 years 8 months
Role: Principle Investigator
Amount: RM 127,800
- Name of grant: PSIF
Project Title: Seaweeds as microhabitats to faunal invertebrates: An association Study
Duration: 1 Dec 2018 - 1 Dec 2020
Role: Co PI
Amount: RM 25,000
Current Research Project
- Formulation of monolith from kapok fibres for oil remediation
- Formulation of PCTBs (porous cellulose triacetate beads) from kapok fibres for oil remediation
- Solid state catalysts for the optimisation of kapok fibres in oil spill absorption
- Documentation of land planarians from Malaysia
- Zachariah, JA, Ispal, MR & Soo OYM (2021). Analysis of copper removal using different seafood wastes by differential pulse voltammetry (DPV). AsPac J. Mol. Biol. Biotechnol. Vol. 29 (2): 1-7
- Soo OYM & Tan WB (2021). Hamatopeduncularia Yamaguti, 1953 (Monogenea: Ancylodiscoididae) from catfish off Peninsular Malaysia: Description of two new species and insights on the genus. Parasitology International, 81 (2021) 102282
- Chan EWC, Soo OYM, Tan YH, Wong SK and Chan HT (2020) Nobiletin and tangeretin (citrus polymethoxyflavones): an overview on their chemistry, pharmacology and cytotoxic activities against breast cancer. Journal of Chinese Pharmaceutical Sciences, 29 (7), 443-454.
- Soo OYM (2018) A new species of Haliotrema (Monogenea: Ancyrocephalidae (sensu lato) Bychowsky & Nagibina, 1968) from holocentrids off Langkawi Island, Malaysia with notes on the phylogeny of related Haliotrema species. Parasitology International 68 (1), Impact factor: 2.055
- Khang TF, Soo OYM, Tan WB and Lim LHS (2015) Monogenean anchor morphometry: Systematic value, phylogenetic signal and evolution. PeerJ 4, Impact factor: 2.2
- Soo OYM and Lim LHS (2015) A description of two new species of Ligophorus Euzet & Suriano, 1977 (Monogenea: Ancyrocephalidae) from Malaysian mugilid fish using principal component analysis and numerical taxonomy. Journal of Helminthology, 89 (2): 131-149. Impact factor: 1.421
- Soo OYM, Tan WB and Lim LHS (2015) Three new species of Ligophorus Euzet & Suriano, 1977 (Monogenea: Ancyrocephalidae) from Moolgarda buchanani (Bleeker) off Johor, Malaysia based on morphological, morphometric and molecular data. The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 63: 49-65. Impact factor: 0.927
- Soo OYM and Lim LHS (2012) Eight new species of Ligophorus Euzet & Suriano, 1977 (Monogenea: Ancyrocephalidae) from mugilids off Peninsular Malaysia. The Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 60 (2): 241-264. Impact factor: 1.19
- 4th ICMBB 2021, 1-3 June 2021,Organiser: MSMBB Oral and Poster presentation. Oral Presentation Title: Immobilisation of oil degrading bacteria on cellulose triacetate beads formed from Kapok fibres and their role in oil spill remediation. Poster title: Modification of Kapok fibres into porous beads for marine oil spill remediation efforts.
- World Conference in Marine Biodiversity (2020) Poster Presentation, 13-16 Dec 2020, Organiser: University of Auckland, New Zealand Poster title: Monogenean anchor morphometry: systematic value, phylogenetic signal, and evolution.
- STEM in a Disruptive Environment, NUS Singapore, 23-24 May 2019, Organiser: Faculty of Science, NUS
Award and Recognition
- Silver Medal (Category: Biotechnology), 32nd International Invention, Innovation & Technology Exhibition, Malaysia (ITEX 2021) for the invention Oil Remover Raft (OR2).
- PEW Funding Award by World Conference on Marine Biodiversity 2020.
Networks and Collaborations on Research
- CORAA (Centre for Research in Advanced Aquaculture (Co-Chair)
- IMBER-UCSI Partnership